I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SOS I am Hosed!
Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: February 18, 2010 10:51PM

I have no idea what to do. I have just finished a rod that I have put a lot of time into, it is part of a 4 rod order that I needed to send out tomorrow but the finish went all buggy on me. I started out with threadmaster lite and have had no issues with it. Lately however, I have been using permagloss. I figured I could finish the rod faster with the Threadmaster but for some reason even though the finish was even when I put it on, it has pulled away from the edges and basically become fat in the middle. It is built up around the guide feet especially. I tried to put on another coat, I figured the overall finish would be thicker than usual but doable. Nope. It started to do the same thing so I took off the second coat. Does anybody have any ideas how I can fix this? I wish I could take some of the set up finish off, well as long as I am wishing, I wish I could take the whole first coat off and use the Permagloss like I should have in the first place.
I'm not saying anything is wrong with the finish, in fact I highly doubt that it has anything to do with the finish. Please Help!
James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SOS I am Hosed!
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.178.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2010 11:20PM

I've had the best luck with multiple thin coats of permagloss. I don't expect this information is of much use to you at this time and with this rod, but you might want to try several very thin coats of permagloss in the future.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2010 11:24PM

PermaGloss is a urethane and will never provide the same appearance as an epoxy.

You can overcoat PG with an epoxy if you prefer the epoxy look, but wait several days before you do so.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2010 01:41AM

You have some sort of contamination or it is the thread. What kind of thread did you use?

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 19, 2010 08:10AM

James,

I tried a lite epoxy formulation with the belief that I could make multiple thin applications and have a level finish after 2-3 applications. What I learned is that if I applied the least bit too much finish the thin finish would draw in toward the middle of the wrap, simply due to gravity. This situation became even more apparent if I applied any heat to the finish after application to the wraps.

So I went back to regular finish and still try to apply coats as thin as I can. The thicker finish, when applied very thinly, tends to stay in place better and after multiple thin coats looks nice.

Sorry this advice won’t help your current situation.

Jeff

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: February 19, 2010 09:31AM

I've done that twice James, at least it was on my rods and I chose to live with that football shape. let me know if there is anything you need that I may have around.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2010 12:11PM

James,
About 99% of the time when you get a football in your guide foot finish, it is the result of putting too much finish on the wrap.

Better to put on two or three coats of thin finish - rather than one heavy coat that gathers in the middle of the guide foot.

When I have encounterd this issue, myself; if I catch it in time, I can use a bit of gentle heat from a heat gun to thin the partically cured finish and then a finish brush to remove the excess finish.

If I don't catch it in time, I either live with it, or cut off the guide, finish, rewrap and refinish.

This is why I find it very important to go back to a rod about 10-20 minutes after the original finish application and check the rod on the dryer - looking carefully at each and every wrap and area where finish has been applied. It seems that it takes that time for a football to appear if excess finish has been applied to the particular area.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 19, 2010 02:16PM

The two part epoxy finishes will give better coverage as Tom said. What i do is apply the finish on all the wraps, then stop the turner, wait for any drips that may occur, and whip them off, turn 180 and do it again. then turn the dryer on and let dry. check every once in a while but let it do it's thing.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 02:22PM

I threw away any of the finish that was labeled "lite" long ago, and I've produced far better finishes without it! Just use less finish when applying your high build. You'll be very surprised how little you need to get a full coverage and level finish. I now apply two coats of PG first, then wait about 5 days (don't reduce this time frame - you'll be sorry), then apply one THIN coat of high build Threadmaster.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 04:25PM

The PG is not needed but that is up to you. Two coats of thread master and your done in two days. drying each coat overnight.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster