I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod grip question
Posted by: Justin Duhon (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2010 10:10PM

Guys I am looking at a Rainshadow RX8 XSB822.5-TC for my dad he wants something very sensitive so I hope that will do it but here is the question, it has a .392 butt and the cork grip that he wants has a .415 I.D. whats yalls take on that ? Will I have to much slack on the top end of the grip or will the Rod bond be able to take up that much slack I don't have the blank yet but I can't imagine that blank having enough tapper to cause a problem if I just put lots of rod bond and and slide the cork grip on should be less than a .100" of slack up top I think which means .050" around the blank.. What do yall think. Going to call Batson and get the O.D. 9.75" up the blank to know exactly.

Also whats yalls take on the set up the blank mentioned above 9.75 cork grip, Fuji ACS seat no fore grip and 3 double foot followed by 6 fly guides all AM Tak Titan Ring locks in a concept layout.

Should be a nice rod I hope any comments welcomed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod grip question
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 17, 2010 10:22PM

Do not use just Rod Bond! Shim with masking tape or dry wall screen to close up almost all of the gap, the apply the epoxy.

Posted by: Justin Duhon (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2010 10:51PM

If the gap will need to be filled what about putting a layer of epoxy on the blank and then sanding it down to .400 and then rod bonding to the epoxy I can't see where putting tape or any other kind of filler is better than epoxy let me know what yall think. What is the recommended clearance between a blank and grip when they are being fitted together?

thanks for the quick answer Phil.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2010 11:17PM

Justin,
Epoxy works best when the surfaces to be glued are a snug fit. It's not really meant to fill big gaps, and epoxy weighs a TON (well, maybe not quite, but it is very heavy, and weight is the enemy of sensitivity). If you have a big gap to fill, consider using a different grip, or fill the space with arbors made of fiberglass drywall mesh. You may be able to just do a few thread wraps to fill the gap by the butt end.
I think that the contours of the ACS are uncomfortable, unless you smooth them out a little bit. Just my opinion.
George

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 17, 2010 11:48PM

I think we are all in agreement. Rod Bond is a great bonding agent. It is not meant for filling in gaps. A good grip fit is one that fits snug. The 2 most preferred methods have been mentioned. #1 use thread, #2 is tape. Another thing is if you try to fill a gap with any bonding agent, that material will never fill all the gaps. What happens is when the cork is used and damp and you squeeze it the cork well feel soft and spongy.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2010 12:15AM

The recommended clearance between grip and blank is 0.00"

If you have a gap, then you will need to shim it. Just don't try to build up the blank with epoxy and sand it down. I'd order a properly sized grip before I did that. Shims work fine.

The advise you received in this thread is correct. Don't try to over-engineer things.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2010 01:04AM

Justin,
One of the big issues with just using epoxy to fill gaps, is that it is very difficult to keep everything equally spaced.
i.e. if you have a large gap, it is quite likely that there will be a bunch of epoxy on one side and very little on the other, resulting in a handle that is not properly centered.

A very easy and simple thing to do, is to simply take masking tape of a nominal width. Some folks use 1/4 inch wide, some 1/2 inch wide, some 3/4 or even inch wide tape. Then, leave about 1/8th inch gaps between the layers of wraps.
When you glue up the reel seat, be sure to fully pack the gaps with epoxy. This filling with epoxy gives a very good bond, but because the relative amount of epoxy is small, there is little weight gain.
The masking tape keeps the reel seat centered and perfectly aligned.
Very simple, easy, but strong and light.

--
The other option is to use a poly arbor to fill the gap. If the gap is quite thin, it is difficult to ream the poly arbor thin enough to give a good fit to the blank. However, if you can obtain a poly arbor for the reel seat and then ream it to fit the blank, you will have the best of both worlds. The poly arbors are really the ticket to give you a good lightweight filler that gives a good bond of blank to arbor, to reel seat. Little weight gain with maximum sensitivity.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2010 01:22AM

The ACS seat is meant to be used without an arbor. Get one that is slightly too small and ream to fit the blank.
Justin, you mention using a concept layout, which is for spinning rods, but it sounds like you're building a casting rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2010 01:25AM by George Forster.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2010 05:41AM

The best option is to use a different piece of cork.

But, if you can't, use thread as your shim. It's cheap, and it's way better than tape. Put a layer of D thread, then coat with finish epoxy. If that doesn't shim it enough, or doesn't shim it in the right spots, put more thread on, then more finish. When the fit is quite snug, then use rod bond to put the grip on.

Again, using a shim like this is not the way to attain better sensitivity, but it'll hold well.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2010 08:04AM

if you want to keep it light, glue in reel seat arbors then ream to fit snugly. less rod bond and a lighter grip.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Justin Duhon (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2010 01:35PM

Well guys I fixed the problem I'm going to just get the RX8+ blank thats like the one I was thinking and it has a butt size big enough for the grip. Only going to make things better since it is even a more sensitive blank just like $35 more.

However I don't like the ideas of using tape as arbors for anything. I know that the reel seat I'm looking at already has a built in arbor system if it didn't I would use graphite arbors tape seems like a 1950's method to me. If I did have to shim the handle I would use thread and finish it that seems like the best idea that yall have told me.

Thanks for the help

As for the guide placement I have two rods that are very close in action and length so I will use them as templates for guide placement.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 18, 2010 01:40PM

If you need a reelseat Arbor, I would use dry wall sticky tap and Rod Bond I have never had one fail in 15 years. Masking Tap well dry out and does not give blank to reelseat adhesion

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster