I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning Guide Wraps
Posted by: John Wiley (198.62.197.---)
Date: February 16, 2010 12:18AM

Ok guys,
This is kind of a newbie question about spinning guides wraps, The builder who got me started told me to always put your tie offs away from the fisherman’s eye "on the bottom" giving your wraps the most clean appearance you can get,, I’ve been doing this, and at times struggle, Not so much on the start of the wrap, but with the trim rings joint placement and exactly where to put my pull string in,,, before the guide or after,,,

Now I have been looking through the guide photos and it seem they are done both ways, some on top "away from the guide", some on bottom "same side the guide is on".. So this has me wondering is there a right way? Is it just builder preference??
What do you guys do and why???
Thanks for the input...
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning Guide Wraps
Posted by: Hillrie Rouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 16, 2010 05:20AM

You can do it any where-----If , after you put your first coat of finish on, you shave the nub off and put another coat on.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2010 08:10AM

Just put them all on the same side so anything that might be seen is all on the same axis. When you do that, it looks like it was planned that way (which it was. When you start and stop your wraps at various different locations, it looks haphazard and clumsy.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2010 11:15AM

John,
It is certainly not a bad idea to put the majority of the pull throughs on the off side of the blank for visual appeal. However, with respect to ties offs, you normally should not be able to see any of the tie offs at all when finished.

However, with respect to trim. Sometimes when multi color trim wraps are put on, there is a thread cross over as part of the procedure. As a result, there is a bit of eye clutter at this location. I do try to make a point of keeping any thread cross overs on the off side of the blank simply for visual appeal. Again, with a good burnishing tool, there will be little to nothing visible with respect to humps or bumps, but there is a touch of visual appeal that will be gained by keeping the thread cross overs on the off side of the blank.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Tom St.Blanc (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: February 16, 2010 12:57PM

I’m seeing deflection in my last runs of thread when I pull through. Thread is already pretty packed and I can’t seem to get it straight after the knot is made. Am I wrapping too tight?

Also, good tip on shaving the nub. I’ll try that. Should I use some 400 grit paper between coats?

Tom

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 16, 2010 01:12PM

Try placing your thumbnail on the last few wraps right at the point you are pulling the tie off into. That will hold the last few wraps in place. Burnishing should take care of any uneven threads.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2010 06:23PM

Thomas,
When ready to trim, use a fresh razor blade or a very sharp fine tipped fly tying scissor to trim the tag thread. Put tensio on the tag thread and clip as close to the wrap as you can. When the tag is cut, it will virtually disappear uner the wraps. A slight burnish should take care of the rest. Also, it is a good idea to flame the wrap to both shrink the wrap as well as to melt any remaining tag ends.
Really no reason to do any sanding or burnishing between the finish coats.

If you think the wraps are a bit tight, just do some practice wraps that are a bit looser and see if this helps.
Remember, any thing that is wrapped, can be cut off and redone. Just redo it a few times until you get the desired effects.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2010 06:50PM

Roger;
"it is a good idea to flame the wrap to both shrink the wrap "

I had never heard that before, can you explain how heating "shinks" nylon thread or are you using some type of other thread?

Posted by: Tom St.Blanc (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: February 16, 2010 06:58PM

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm all about cutting guides off. I'm still practicing and have yet to build my first rod. But soon!!!

I have also discovered how to cook thread. Smells bad when it burns and yes, it cuts off just fine. Loving it.

Thanks again for all your posts it really helps all of us.

Have fun at the show!

Posted by: John Wiley (---.direcway.com)
Date: February 17, 2010 01:28AM

Thanks for all the replies, and advice,,
as I said before trying really hard to do the neatest cleanest work I can,,,
John

Posted by: John Wiley (---.direcway.com)
Date: February 17, 2010 01:28AM

Thanks for all the replies, and advice,,
as I said before trying really hard to do the neatest cleanest work I can,,,
John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster