I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX blanks for the walleye guy?
Posted by: Josh Clawson (---.static.midco.net)
Date: February 15, 2010 11:24AM

I've been doing some research on these blanks and can't seem to find any negative feedback on them. My question is this, what is the difference between the "blend" and the other blanks. I am looking at the 6'-6" M and also the 7' ML. How do they compare to say a SCIII graphite as far as response and action?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX blanks for the walleye guy?
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 15, 2010 11:29AM

The easiest way to get an answer to this is to call Todd Vivian at Mudhole. He had a hand in the design of these blanks, and he can give you an accurate answer. I DO know that the "blend" blanks combine different carbon fibers (with different characteristics). While some companies make a blend using carbon and fiberglass, the MHX blend blanks are all carbon fiber...no glass.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2010 02:28PM

Josh,
what you are going to find in comparing the MHX to the SCIII is that the MHX will be lighter in physical weight to comparable models. It will also be more sensitive. As far as action that will depend upon the specific series & model. As Gary stated the blends are a mixture of carbon fibers with different properties which enable us to enhance a specific action without utilizing fiberglass or another woven fabric.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: John Sams (66.28.139.---)
Date: February 15, 2010 03:10PM

Enhance an action?? What does that do??

Posted by: Josh Clawson (---.static.midco.net)
Date: February 15, 2010 06:01PM

Todd,
Say your SJ782-MHX vs a 3S66MF.
Josh

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2010 06:47PM

Josh,
The best thing to do is to have each of the blanks in your hands, check the action and power.
Also, have a sensitive scale handy to check the weight of the blank.

These things should give you everything that you need with respect to the blanks.

Take care
Roger

You can always read specifications, but it is in the hand testing that really tells the story.

Date: February 16, 2010 10:38AM

Josh,
I pulled both models and did a brief comparison. just as a general note with the tip sizes the same on both, the butt diameter on the 3S is 0.040" larger than the SJ. The weight of the SJ is almost 1/2 oz. less than the 3S and the power of the two blanks is very similar.

Regards,

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: February 16, 2010 11:04AM

Todd, any idea when we might see some heavier ones for us saltwater guys?

Date: February 16, 2010 12:45PM

Russell,
what types are you asking about?

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: February 16, 2010 02:52PM

Todd, my immediate needs are something to match up with a 113HN. It will be my serious bottom rig. I need enough tip to fish a pound of lead and enough backbone to handle a 100 pound AJ. Most of the time it will be more like 40# grouper but a guy likes to be prepared. I'll probably spool with 60 to 80# braid. The hercules is one that has caught my eye as well as the croix musky blank.

Next up, I have a hankering to try out one of the new spinning reels with some 30, maybe 40# braid. Something for the smoker kings, wahoos, and bigger blackfin. I haven't picked out a reel but say something like a saragosa 8000.

Little by little I have been revamping my older tackle. I like to keep weight down. I mostly fish the 12-20# range but I push my stuff hard. I just need to add a couple of bigger/stronger outfits.

The CB847 looks like it would be great for 20# and sooner or later I'll get one.

Date: February 17, 2010 04:31PM

John,
Enhance: =
Wikipedia............................... improve something by adding features

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster