I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Rail Grips
Posted by: seth lattrell (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2010 10:03AM

I am working on a couple of cod jigging rods for the private charter boat that I work on during the summer. I am trying to keep these rods really light, but want them to be able to stand up to quite a bit of abuse. My main concern is with the rear grip. I have seen too many foam grips completely ruined by the rail of the boat, which makes me lean towards using hypalon, however hypalon seems significantly heavier than EVA. My boss (the captain of the boat) and I have been bouncing ideas around for a while now about what to use on the grips. We also want these rods to stand out amongst the myriad rods that come aboard the boat. Anyone have any insight on a way to make a grip that will look nice, be light, and stand up to lots of abuse? I even thought about just adding a removable butt like I saw in the last edition of rod maker so that it would be easy to replace the rear grip every couple of years, but that seems like a cop out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Rail Grips
Posted by: Mark Griffin (96.229.21.---)
Date: February 15, 2010 11:05AM

I assume the rears are getting torn up because of rod holders? Hypalon with take much more of a beating than EVA, but you might want to look at slick butts or cord wraps. 3M cold shrink tube over your EVA might be an option for you as well.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: February 15, 2010 11:32AM

Its the rail of the boat thats tearing the grips. They are jigging rods so we use the rail as a pivot point to jig. I've thought about the options you've mentioned, but cord wraps seem like they would be uncomfortable to jig with all day. Shrink tubing is an option I've though about, but the cold shrink stuff seems too plain. I might give the x-flocked tubing over EVA a shot.

Has anyone tried EVA inlays in hypalon before? Wondering if the contrasting densities would put too much strain on the adhesive.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: February 15, 2010 11:53AM

You said the main concern is the rear grip. For that I think the slick butt is the way to go.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 15, 2010 12:02PM

I use this on all the boat/trolling rods that go in a rod holder but it may be perfect for what you want. VERY light, CHEAP and virtually indestructible [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: February 15, 2010 03:41PM

These won't be trolling rods. They are jigging rods for cod so i need the butt grip to be comfortable as well. They won't spend any time in rod holders other than for storage.

Mike, I like the idea of using the hose. I might do a split grip with EVA and put the hose between the grips. Thanks for the advice!

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 15, 2010 05:52PM

You said the problem is the rear grip, that is why everyone is recommending a slick butt.

Lane

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2010 06:52PM

Seth,
The comment about using the piece of PVC under water hose is a very good one for a virtually industructable piece of rod handle.

A 5 foot length of PVC pipe will cost you about $1.

Just use a heat gun to get the piece of tubing perfectly straight before using it on the rod.

Put a piece of cork at the front section of the butt to give you a nice comforatble grip. Then, put a nice soft rubber butt cap on the rod to ease the load against the fisherman if he uses it this way.

Take care
Roger

Date: February 15, 2010 07:43PM

Thanks a lot for the advice Roger

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 15, 2010 10:23PM

It's under ground sprinkler hose and Home Depot usually has 5' straight pieces in 2 different OD's for around 2 bucks. I sand it on the lathe with 80 or 100 grit and put a coat of urethane gel on it.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster