I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Roller guide design question.
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 10:10PM

Hi,

Was going thru a couple of catalogs today looking at stand up rods. It seems the first guide, the largest, always has the lower roller closest to the reel. The rest of the guides, the small ones, have the roller at the front or at the rear of the guide. Sometimes the same company has the smaller guide facing in opposite directions on different models. Confusing???

I am not an offshore angler so I do not have actual experience to figure this out. Maybe it makes no difference at all. If there is an adequate reason I would be interested in learning it.

Thank you in advance.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roller guide design question.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 12, 2010 09:10AM

The line doesn't care where the frame is in relation to the rollers.

The first or butt guide, generally causes the line to pull down to the rod when the reel is at full spool by virtue of the top roller, This ensures the line is gathered and will begin tracking in the bottom roller well. Putting the top roller a little further forward still gets the job done but doesn't cause as much of a downward angle at full spool.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2010 10:09AM

Neil,
When building roller rods, I have always placed the butt or first guide, such that the high roller is always facing the reel. The low roller will always be facing the tip of the rod.

The idea, is that the high roller is used to guide the line as it comes off the large reel and doesn't tangle on the roller.

Take care
Roger

Date: February 12, 2010 10:14AM

Thank you.

But what about the direction of the smaller guides? Roller to the front or roller to the rear?

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 12, 2010 11:46AM

Most roller guides have the name of the manufacturer stamped on them. All the ones I've spoken to have told me that they designed the roller frame to face so that the name is facing towards the angler.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2010 05:40PM

Neil,
If you look at this picture of the pac bay roller guides, it will give you the information that you need. For this picture, the reel would be on the right side of the picture:

[www.mudhole.com]

Take care
Roger

Date: February 12, 2010 07:13PM

Hi Roger,

I looked at the Pac Bay pic. I just looked at a Melton catalog and they show the guide closest to the fore grip with the lower roller nearest the grip. The smaller guides up the blank they have them going both ways.

Since we do not have a definitive scientific answer I have to assume that we can install them in any direction we prefer.

I had hoped that some offshore anglers would respond with reasons that they prefer one direction over another. Usually rod builders have many varied opinions.

Thanks for the replies.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: February 15, 2010 05:48PM

NEIL,
I just saw this and will opine. The guides are bi directional. That said, I always have the aftco fish facing the angler when fighting a fish. If you put the first roller (double roller) with the first guide high, then the high roller will be touching the line all the time which I don't like. If it is oriented 1st roller low, it will run correctly in my mind. I don't want constant line contact with that roller. If those guides get stuck, then line failure will occur from heat buildup.

Kevin

Date: February 15, 2010 07:46PM

Hi Kevin,

Way to go! That is what I am looking for personal experience. Makes sense to me.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster