I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy the grips/ rod bond ????
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.we.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2010 08:21AM

What is the downside to using epoxy for grips and reel seats compared to Rod Bond???? The reason I ask is because the only time I have ever used rod bond it made such a mess that I went to using 2 hr epoxy. I read that a lot of you [ most ] use rod bond over epoxy and swear by it , so set me straight as to how to use rod bond without the mess and the benefits of rod bond over epoxy. I have wondered about this for two yrs and was to embarassed [sp] to ask
thanks in advance
Ken

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy the grips/ rod bond ????
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 08:33AM

The nice thing with Rod Bond, it stays in place when you apply it to the blank. You don't have to worry about it dripping all over the place. I am not sure how you are getting a mess using Rod Bond, but I make sure to take my time and clean up any access Rod Bond as I slide parts into place. You have plenty of working time so there is not need to rush anything at all. Even when using exposed blank reelseats, it does leak out of the hole, but it cleans up rather easily.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: February 11, 2010 08:53AM

Even Quick Bond (the fast setting rod bond version) is better than regular epoxies just because it stays in place. No dripping or running onto other parts too.
I like that you can make shapes to fill voids or mold things and that shape stays like you make it until its dry, then you can file it or sand it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2010 08:56AM

RodBond is an epoxy, by the way.

Posted by: stan lothamer (---.aubnin.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 09:27AM

i like pack bay rod smith it is thick and dont run or drip.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 09:39AM

Use the product that works for your particular needs.
Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2010 09:51AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: February 11, 2010 10:16AM

what tools are you using to work with rod bond, and how are you mixing it/applying it? I use a spatula to dish it out in equal piles and mix it like I'm spreading butter on toast, pile it back up and spread it, pile it up, spread it out and I'll do that until it's mixed.....alcohol and coffee filters clean it up nicely.

Posted by: Dick Ross (204.9.111.---)
Date: February 11, 2010 11:10AM

It is a love hate relationship for me. I love the ease of working with rod bond and the clean up. I hate the long set up time before you can continue working on the rod, but I still use it all the time.

Posted by: Sam Hightower (---.mg.themeganet.com)
Date: February 11, 2010 11:13AM

Ken,
I'm like everyone else and use Rod Bond. I use blue painters tape (not very tacky) and tape off each end of my handles, reelseat, foregrip and butt cap before I start assembly on the blank. Any Rod Bond that squeezes out at the joints is on the tape surface (generally). I remove the tape after I have a good fit, wipe with alcohol/coffee filters and then use a toothbrush dipped in alcohol to cleans any seams. None of this takes much time and this system works for me. I hope it helps.
Sam

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 11:26AM

I like that idea of the tooth brush Sam. I usually use a Q Tip.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: February 11, 2010 02:06PM

Dick - try the Quik Bond!

"Quik-Bond adds yet one more helpful feature which sets it apart: Begins setting up in about 15 minutes at 70 F and about 10 minutes at 90 F. In less than one hour bonded parts can be handled freely. This saves you time when you need it without sacrificing any 'Rod Bond' benefits."

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: February 11, 2010 02:21PM

West epoxy can come in handy when you need something that sets up fast. Plus they have different hardeners so you can decide just how fast you want it to set up.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 03:17PM

Hey I have been using Rod Bond for years. If you have miss aligned a reelseat or cork rings. You have time to correct it. It is to clean up just a little water mixed with some liquid soap and alcohol (Scotch) LOL The inventor of this stuff, worked for a air plane manufacture, so it it holds planes together why not use it.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Dick Ross (204.9.111.---)
Date: February 11, 2010 05:24PM

I have started using the Quick- bond and I do like it.With it I mix up smaller batches ( 1 for the reel seat and 1 for the grip and arbors) instead of a single batch to do both jobs.

Date: February 11, 2010 05:33PM

With Rod Bond I use small batches. With Rod Bond all you need is a thin covering when doing grips, except when it comes to filling in between the Arbors. I just fill the gaps even with the Arbors when installing cork or reelseats I twist them in place. This will give the an even covering both surfaces

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: February 14, 2010 04:00PM

Bob,

Do you really need to fill the gaps between the arbors? I believe Ralph O'Quin said you don't have to do that. Might save you some product and weight.

Les

Date: February 14, 2010 05:15PM

Les probably not. I also cut grove on 4 sides of the Arbors, the groves are also cut off set of each other

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster