I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Matte blankes and slight finish?
Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 03:26PM

Is there any product out there that you could simply wipe onto a matte finished blank just to give it a slight satin or gloss look? If you look at TFO pro seiries blanks they are matte, but seem to have just a very slight satin finish too them. I'm looking for a product that might be as simple as wipping down with a wet or saturated cloth. Any products out there like that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Matte blankes and slight finish?
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 03:42PM

Car wax will give you the look you want. Wait unti you're finished building the rod to apply the wax, or you'll contaminate it.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: February 10, 2010 05:38PM

Do a test with Petri Wipe-On Polyurethane Gel (Satin Finish). I use it on grips and it is fabulous ... durable, attractive and easy to apply. JP Timberlake turned me onto it a couple of years ago and hardly a grip has left my shop without a couple of coats.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: February 10, 2010 06:35PM

I use a product called Honda spray cleaner and polish, which is probably just repackaged Pledge sold at a motorcycle dealer for a big markup, but I have plenty left over from my racing days.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2010 07:57PM

i have fixed scratches on matte blanks using the petri polyurethane gel and you cant see where it was fixed. you can also get the spar urethane spray in gloss and satin. it is found at any home depot/lowes/walmart

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 10:29PM

As John says, there is also a wipe on finish in the spar.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 11, 2010 01:13AM

Like Jim and JP, I use the Petri on my grips and love it. Never thought about it on rods but will be trying it

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: February 11, 2010 09:09AM

Try a single wiped on coat of Tru-Oil, it will work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster