I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

kistler blanks
Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: February 10, 2010 12:57PM

Is there a dealer that sells Kistler blanks? Either I am missing finding them on the links and or Internet searches or there really isn't a source for the new models. Does anyone know if there will be any available at the Expo?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." — [Ian Holm (Bilbo Baggins)]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: kistler blanks
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2010 01:34PM

You cannot buy kistler blanks they buy them from a company out of China and have their name put on them

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: February 10, 2010 02:12PM

There is no dealer, but Trey's father-in-law sells older models(last years LTA's mostly) on @#$%&. I have built a few and know some other guys that have built them. There is nothing wrong with the blanks I've built on, I'd be sure to ask if they are old productions or prototypes. I got to see a few of the prototype z-bone blanks and was not impressed, possibly due to it being a prototype, it had a ton of tip roll, like close to 4" when the blank was turned all the way around. The LTA blanks he has on there that I've seen have all been good. Had a friend of mine order a dozen of them and another order 7 of them, not a problem them at all.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 02:16PM

On Kistlers forum some time back he stated that they sell their seconds and blems on the @#$%& sites.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: February 10, 2010 02:25PM

It's all over the advertising that the ZBone is using blanks by NFC. So is that a problem with Kistler's line of blanks coming from NFC? On a $400 rod?

That's an interesting post Andrew.

-----------------
AD

Date: February 10, 2010 02:29PM

These blanks that I saw were not the NFC blanks, they were one of the prototypes prior to their joint venture with NFC, at least that is my undertanding about them. My bud contacts Trey's father-in-law through his @#$%& store directly about any blanks that he gets from him. I remember him saying that they were a prototype and not the actual production rod, and not from NFC. I'm sure that may have been one of the reasons they went with NFC blanks instead of those prototypes. He returned those blanks, with the reasoning that if they weren't good enough for Kistler to use on a production, why would he want to use them......these tackle nut guys are crazy like that though, I can't believe how much they spend on gear.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2010 02:32PM by Andrew Metzger.

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: February 10, 2010 03:43PM

Thanks everyone. So much for Kistler and with another premium vendor changing to not resell their blanks, the others have to be smilling.

Date: February 10, 2010 05:00PM

Kistler has never made it a point to sell their blanks, it's just a deal that allows a few to trickle out, it is my understanding that NFC is making kistlers blanks now....I do not know if they are the same NFC blanks that they sell to customers or not......but you can get NFC blanks....

Posted by: Walt Stock (---.dtccom.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 05:43PM

Seen a few for sale on @#$%& - buyer beware

Posted by: Nick Christou (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 10, 2010 06:20PM

I have bought two blanks from the @#$%& sites.
I emailed Trey about their rod socks and specifically mentioned that I was building on the LTA blanks.
He said I will love their actions and thanked me for the email.
It would seem like they are legit.

Posted by: Jean-luc T. Huynh (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 08:36PM

Hi guys, great board...

My 2 cents; I've also purchase about six of them LTAs and found them to be a little spongy and have too much flex for their line ratings. Compare to my shimano crucial (8-17) and cumara's(6-14lbs) with the same line ratings , the LTAs are not as crisp and have a lot less back bone; doesn't feel as solid as the shimanos.... I would trade them all back for some shimano blanks if I could. However, it's just my personal preference and favors the high modulus IM stuffs..

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (72.166.145.---)
Date: February 10, 2010 09:16PM

you probably got the medium ones, the medium heavy rods are nicer, IMO.

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 09:53AM

I talked with Trey Kistler and he told me that North Fork Composits is making there blanks and they will not have them for sale. However he said you could get a few on the @#$%& site and the are first runs just older modlec like th HC.
Paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2010 10:43AM

Well Trey and his spokesman should sit down and talk so they stop putting out conflicting info.
The comment below is copied from another forum, posted by Kistler’s spokesperson.

“We have an overseas OEM manufacturer for our basic lines and anglers also have the option of purchasing a custom made ZBone custom made in Texas with American made North Fork Blanks.”
Matt Massey
Kistler Rods Canada

All Kistler’s rods are being made overseas. With the exception on their custom made Zbone rods which are built on N. F. Blanks. A blank company that has just recently (in the last year), started selling their blanks. So I doubt any of the one’s being @#$%& off are American made or made by N. F. Don’t care what they say.

And if you want a North Fork Blank; Thy will be at the Rod Expo so you can look at them there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2010 10:46AM by Steve Gardner.

Date: February 11, 2010 11:03AM

Steve, the z-bone prototypesI looked at were said to NOT be NFC blanks when they were purchased from the @#$%& site. I do believe that they were not american made like you state.

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 12:50PM

The blanks made on the @#$%& site are not made in the U.S.

Paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Jon Bial (209.34.156.---)
Date: February 11, 2010 02:03PM

Hey guys,

We make blanks for the Z-bone series. At this point, we do not make blanks for any series other than that one. As for buying blanks, the only places to buy blanks built by NFC are listed [www.northforkcomposites.com].

We are looking forward to seeing a number of you at the Expo.

Jon

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: February 11, 2010 02:21PM

Jon -

Is that both the ZBone blank lines? I think there is a ST and a LE or something last I saw on the pilot BYOR site.

I ask due to the significant price difference. One can come in about $250ish and one is going to be about $400.

-----------------
AD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster