I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Creating The Lightest Rod Possible?
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: February 11, 2010 08:40AM

Steve - I'm not making tubes. Are you sacrificing the core on turned grips?

The original RM article states that 8lb foam core and graphite sleeve saves 30% over cork if I recall. Again, my cores alone weigh more than cork so I was just wondering what the heck I am doing wrong. I even jacked the temp to 80 and tried stirring with the drill attachment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 08:47AM

Eliminate everything - quit eating fish - virtual fishing on your IPod! Then there will be no more arguments or fishing rods.

That will probably happen before we can get settle on one answer that will satisfy all conditions.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: February 11, 2010 09:37AM

Mo,
you raise what to me is a very important point: the reel and other components may be the place to make the changes.
I was in my local BPS recently and some of the guys are talking about saving .2 of an ounce off the rod by removing various parts of the reel seat. Some guys were not willing to look at swapping out their reel to a CI4 which is lighter than their current reel by the total mass of their current rod! Some also refuse to use braid.
There is only so much you can do on the rod end: thin braid on a light bodied reel can be an easier and cheaper way to increase sensitivity, reduce total mass in the hand and fatigue and put fish in the boat.
A good carbon matrix drag, properly set before your start to fish, can make a fast rod more forgiving at hookup and when fighting it. Abec 5 bearings and a good lube can mean more to the distance you cast than a swap to titanium from stainless steel in guide material. We are here because we like to build rods, but we also like to catch fish and the other components can often be where we need to make the changes.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2010 12:52PM

Chuck;
Some times
If you go back and look at Volume-11 Issue 2 of your RodMaker mag you can see and example of it on page 11

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: February 11, 2010 02:27PM

Yeah but you never shared how you did it Steve...

Pictures are great and all... :)

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 07:42PM

Bill - you've got it. It being where do you place your FOCUS? Sensitivity? Durability? Balance? Casting distance? Spine placement ? Lightest weight? Hook setting? Fish control? Guide spacing? Handle configuration? It's a loaded question - the answer is NONE of the above!

!) FOCUS on the FISH!

2) Next the TECHNIQUES for the conditions.

3) Finally the best TOOLS for the techniques.

Once you select a blank for a given technique - Alex said it best "The lightest way to build is to take your given blank and then add only what you need to accomplish what you want to do."

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: February 13, 2010 01:38AM

Yes, 'Add only what you need to accomplish what you want to do...." The problem of course is what one THINKS one need - and this is often dictated by convention and what we have been exposed to. Otherwise, innovations would happen much more often. It's is an issue of PERCEPTION as to what one needs. I had to really fight that preconceived notion in the search for weight reduction.

Mo

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 13, 2010 10:07AM

Mo Yang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, 'Add only what you need to accomplish what
> you want to do...." The problem of course is
> what one THINKS one need - and this is often
> dictated by convention and what we have been
> exposed to. Otherwise, innovations would happen
> much more often. It's is an issue of PERCEPTION
> as to what one needs. I had to really fight that
> preconceived notion in the search for weight
> reduction.
>
> Mo

The "Last Whole Earth Catalog" was published in the early 1970s. On the back cover was a quote I have committed to memory and often referred to when in doubt: To paraphrase: It's important to know the difference between what we need and what we WISH we needed.

-"My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my fishing and hunting equipment for what I told her I paid for it."

Posted by: William Otto (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2014 09:33AM

Take a beer can, wrap with 2# test (lighter), tie lure on and throw. Very light. Performance @#$%& but it is all about weight, right? I agree with Roger Wilson KISS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2014 09:38AM by William Otto.

Posted by: William Otto (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2014 07:24PM

Am I just stupid about this weight thing or is everyone a little anal. You all are saying keep the rod light at all costs, the put lead in the butt to 'balance the rod' when I am going to put at least a 6 ounce Chronarch or equivelant on it. Do you fish with no reel. Why put 1/2oz. of lead in the butt when the reel is 6 oz. and shifts CG rearward?
And all the credible post say that wrapping lead around the blank deadens some of the feel of the rod? Get that one. Why balance rod at all unless you turn an NRX into a cane pole?
It all seems silly, lighten the rod and let the reel create more moment to the rod. Please enlighten me. I took a Batson blank with 4.5 micro's, split fuji seats, EVA foregrip, handle and butt. It Wasn't till I added 1 oz of lead that my brother said closest feel to an NRX he has felt. But with no reel. Help me Jesus! Still think Roger is right, I would like to haqve a chat with him, until my Lord and Savior gets back with me.
Thank you gentlemen.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2014 08:02PM by William Otto.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster