I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss application
Posted by: Walt Stock (---.dtccom.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 09:10PM

I've read many posts here concerning the application of Permagloss to rods that have been either painted or stripped - they include using foam brushes, cheeze cloth, etc. Today I found my perfect applicator...make up sponges! Yep, the little triangle foam's used to apply women's make up. I've never seen a post about them (been a member for about 4-months and also a subscriber to the magazine) so thought I'd put yet another "something to try" out there. IMHO, you will not be disappointed.

Walt "Buck" Stock

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss application
Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 10:01PM

They're also good for trimming epoxy to a neat edge on guide wraps, working with waterslide decals, and a host of little clean up issues. While I'm shopping for the makup sponges I also like to check out their finger nail decals, glitter, etc. I don't think they believe I'm building fishnig rods :(

Posted by: Tony Wilson (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 10:58PM

James,
What do you mean when you say "trimming" epoxy? I am getting ready to build my first rod, and the guide wraps have me more than nervous because I am afraid it won't go on "straight".

Tony

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 09, 2010 04:11AM

James when I was looking for finger nail decal, I got all kinds of strange looks. My hands look like they gone threw a meat tenderizer LOL Lots of hang nails and split nails from use my nails a as a pusher

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: February 09, 2010 04:21AM

I've used the the make-up sponge for perma gloss application a few times (the white triangle ones). But a word of cation: the permagloss eats the sponge. You have to dip it, apply it quickly, and throw it away. I once "staged" everything for coating a blank by putting the sponge in the cup with PG for a couple minutes(literally like two) while I gave the blank another once over after hanging it. I grabbed the sponge, wiped the blank, and ended up with tiny pieces of foam in my coating. I turned the sponge and squezed harder to try to wipe them off and re-apply at the same time only to make it MUCH worse.
If you are quick about it, they do work well.

Posted by: Ron Asker (---.lew.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: February 09, 2010 09:02AM

I too have been using those to clean up epoxy goobers. They come in different shapes. Triangles, squares and circles. The neat thing is they conform to the blank a little as it rotates and, you can hold them precicely where you want them. I've never tried them with TM but they work fine soaked with denatured alchohol on flexcoat.

Posted by: Randall Wilinski (---.Library.eiNetwork.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 03:33PM

Hi guys,

Has anyone used nylon panty hose cut into small squares to apply permagloss with? I have and it works great for me. Much better than a coffee filter that seems to leave lumps all over the rod blank. The nylon panty hose makes the permagloss go on smoothe. The only drawback to the use of the nylon panty hose is that the permagloss dries out on the nylon and will stick on the rod blank if not liberally applied . The nylon panty hose trick was used by the fly fisherman building bamboo rods and coating them with varnish. Try it. I think you'll like it.

Good rod building,

Randall

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 03:38PM

I usum and I also use surgical rubber gloves. Put a little in the palm of your hand and one swipe down

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster