I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rookie and Veteran rod buildier
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 10:54AM

want ask some question,
for rookie rod builder how long do rookie complete his first rod ?
for vetrean rod builder how long do veteran complete 1 rod each ? 1 day or 1 week or 1 month i'm just wonder how long it take to make 1 rod complete
Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rookie and Veteran rod buildier
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 12:06PM

Rookie and artist - days per rod

Veteran builder for fishing - rods per day

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 12:32PM

What Bill said.
You can wrap several rods per day and get finsih on them if you have the dryer space and minimal equipment. If you're after the "pretty" stuff such as inlays, weaves and a host of other cosmetic additions, you might want to tac on a few more days to complete one.
I ,personally, prefer to build fishing rods that will see tons of abuse. And like Bill's, my customers aren't looking for pretty just tough and no nonsense.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 12:33PM

It takes as long as it takes.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Re: Rookie and Veteran rod builder
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 12:41PM

Josh,
Whether it is a rookie or a veteran, it is very much dependent on the complexity of the rod.

If you have built rods before and if you have the appropriate set of tools you can build a simple rod in about two hours.

If you are building a complex rod with complex weaves etc. you might end up working on the rod for a month.

It is fairly typical for a good custom rod builder to build two to 4 rods per day if you are working at it full time.

Again, it depends on the amount of work being done on a rod. If you are using prefinished handles - grips etc. then the time is much less than if you are going to be using individual rings to glue up handles, shape and glue to the rod.

If you have to do a complex handle with a complex set of turning, you might end up with 1-3 hours on the handle alone. Of course all of these times do NOT reflect drying time for glues and finishes. These times are only "hands on" time for the rod builder.

But - time is relative.

It will take as long as it will take to complete a rod - whether it is a rookie or a vet ran rod builder.

Good luck and enjoy the task at hand.

Roger

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 01:19PM

My more intricate, quality components "eye candy rods", where 'fit & finish' and attention to detail are prime ..... usually involve 25 t0 30 hours of ' me with rod' attention. A solid no frill, 'meat rod' build takes about 6 hrs of 'me with rod' attention. They both cast about the same and have approx. the same sensitivity.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: February 08, 2010 01:28PM

It also depends on the rod being built. 6 foot 3wt 2pc with a small western handle or a 15' 3 pc with a 26' handle. All things relitive. If you are building for your self the small amount of time you put into something you will fish for a lifetime is well worth the wait and reward.
Good luck and enjoy the build as well as the fishing!

Eric

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 02:58PM

Fit and finish and "eye candy" may not determine daily output.

Fit and finish should be prime on all rods and does not require additional time for the skilled.

Eye candy may be provided by the use of Electric Decals.

It is what it is and Do What You Gotta Do!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 03:38PM

Hast makes wast. I would worry how good the rod comes out. I myself do not worry about speed, since I guarantee my work. As you build more you will learn how to get faster, it will get easier.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 03:58PM

Well being a rookie and having recently completed my first build, I would say the 'build' time took under 8 hours. But I had really practiced doing wraps on old rods. And I was real careful finding the spline marking everything, etc. But I did a Minima split grip,spiral wrap AFTER taping the guides on and testing and finding the layout for a traditional top mounted guides for a casting rod for a new CB80MH blank where I did not have any guide references to start with.

I spent DAYS reading, looking, reading on line, asking questions etc. before I ever started. It came out real nice and I only have one design/build change I would have made with more experience and that would be to cut down the length of the front reel mount from the factory length.

Can't wait for the EXPO to go to some seminars and to buy some more blanks and components for a couple more rods.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 07:00PM

Most builders do not use a front reel mount -- or are you saying a -fore grip.
Unless it is a heavy Salt Water rod where you have to or will grab the rod above the reel seat.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2010 07:05PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.yousq.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 07:27PM

It really depends on how much you want to do with the rod for embellishments. A plain rod with pre-made grips and no thread work [www.rodbuilding.org] will take me 2-3 hours not counting drying time. If you want to get fancy and do some segmented turnings for the grip [www.rodbuilding.org] you can spend three or four hours just cutting and gluing pieces before you turn it (including drying time 25-40 hours). Add a closed wrap at another 6-10 hours. With out counting drying time I can easily stick 15-20 hours into a rod, the thing about this kind of build there are very few customers that are willing to $400 plus parts for me to build them a rod, so you had best do this type of build because you like doing it (lol).

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 10:17PM

Rookie and procrastinator.. years

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: February 09, 2010 08:03AM

Josh,

It depends on your personal skills and available time. My first couple of builds it took me several weeks to complete. And I think I took the guides off twice on each rod.

Now I can do a simple handle and reel seat and guides wrapped on in about 2-3 hours. Not counting any special cross wraps or feather inlays. I've been building for about 6-7 months.

I wrap by hand. I was going to get a power wrapper but am glad I didn't. I am only wrapping fly rods and spinning and casting rods. I'm not doing the larger diameter salt water rods.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster