I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gear Advice for new comers
Posted by: Mike Crean (---.mc.at.cox.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 01:30PM

Hi all,

I have a 15 year old special needs son who loves all things fishing. I've been contemplating Rod Building as something we can enjoy together while at the same time learning a new skill together. I've been researching rod building and lurking in this forum for a few months now as well. I've studied the threads relating to beginners and have socialized them with my son.

I'd like advice/opinions on gearing up for rod building and repair (wrappers, dryers, lathe, etc.) I fully expect we'll be doing this for some time. I'm concerned about quality/value of equipment rather than cost. Again, this will be life skill vocation training for my son and I really want him to enjoy it. I'm also signing us up for beginner rod building classes in May at the Mud Hole Florida store location.

That said, am I better off buying a canned kit for our start-up efforts, or should I custom select components? Any thoughts on the essential start-up needs, as well as specific gear recommendations would be very much appreciated.

(P.S> I posted a similar thread on the Mud Hole board, so apologies in advance to those who may see this twice. )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2010 07:07PM by Mike Crean.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gear Advice for new comers
Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: February 07, 2010 06:02PM

Hi Mike
Since your going to Mudhole they can show you different set ups in different price ranges. I made my own wrapper stand real cheap and my dryer. Mudhole will be a great help choosing everything you need. Wish I could buy everything like that. I did spend the money on a good mini lathe (Jet) get a lathe with electric variable speed will quicker also get a good adjustable wood turning chuck I would get a set of pin jaws for it and I would buy a drill chuck with a live center. Makes chucking up mandrels easier. For the long hall I would get good equipment to start you may want to see how the classes go with a fifteen year old. He should enjoy it though.

Mike
Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: Tony Wilson (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2010 06:10PM

Hey Mike!

I just went through the exercise of identifying my essentials to get started. I hope it helps you.

The outcome is subjective, because many can build and create their own version of the tools needed. Not me! :-( I watched video after video and read thread after threads to come up with my list. Its missing some items (reamer, lathe, etc) because I don't need those right now, maybe someday though. I also opted against the "kits" and bought individually based on my needs.

Rod Building Needs: Hand rod wrapper, finishing motor, spine finder, china marker, masking tape, exacto knife, alcohol burner, line clippers, razor blades, sandpaper, hot plates / candle heaters, calipers, rubbing alcohol, denatured alcohol, rod epoxy adhesive, tip glue, finish coating epoxy, color preserver, brush cleaner, syringes, finishing brushes, mixing cups, popsicle sticks, steel mixing spatula, enamel paint, burnishing tool.

Bless you for sharing this with your son! What a wonderful opportunity for the two of you to bond.

Tony

Date: February 07, 2010 07:16PM

Hey Tony,

This is a great list! Exactly what we're looking for, too. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

My son is very excited about our planned trip to Mud Hole in May. We're getting a place in the garage ready now and will be buying a few things to get set up. Again, given my son's special needs (mental and health challenges) he'll likely never be able to hold down a "regular" job. Nevertheless, he will someday need to provide for himself in some way. This may not be it, but I'm trying to teach him that he's not without hope and can learn skills just like anyone else.

Thanks again for the helpful pointers!!

~Mike

Posted by: Tony Wilson (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2010 07:41PM

No problem Mike! Utilize this forum. There are a bunch of great rod builders here with wealth of knowledge who are willing to help and share their expertise.

I can't wait to post my first rod build, and I look forward to seeing yours!

Tony

Posted by: Robert Elam (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 08:17PM

Hey Mike! I'm glad you found your way over here from the Mudhole forums.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: February 07, 2010 08:54PM

if your son has health challenges, be sure to check if he's able to work with epoxies and rod finishes. also, ensure that you and your son have proper protection against cork dust and what not..

I think i'm beginning to develope amine sensitivity .. my hands break out in a light rash whenever i am close to freshly mixed rod finish..

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 03:15PM

Mike,

Tony's list looks pretty complete to me. The only thing I would add is to buy an epoxy mixer. I picked mine up from Acid Rod and I love it! I actually have two now, my wife bought me another one. I use one for rod epoxy and one for the epoxy top coat on my musky lures. It will make your finishing must easier as there will be less bubles to deal with.

jeremy

Date: February 08, 2010 08:39PM

@Chris - Thanks for the heads up. I think we'll be fine, but we'll take precautions just to be sure.

@ Jeremy - Thanks for the tip and the additional resource. I'd never heard of Acid Rod untll now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster