I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping a Tuna Rod
Posted by: Chris Cattell (---.dsl.renocs.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 06, 2010 09:08PM

I am gong to go fishing for Yellow fin Tuna this summer. I wrapped a Calstar rod, but I think I made a mistake. I uderwrapped the rod with size "D", then I wrapped on the roller guides with only one wrap of "D" size. I then epoxied the rod as usual. I then came to the understanding that I should have double wrapped the roller guides. My question: Should I wrap over the existing wrap with a second, over the epoxied finish?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping a Tuna Rod
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2010 10:45PM

Double wrapping over the guides, in my opinion, only helps to safeguard against chafing in rods that are mishandled. On 130-Unlimited rods it "might" add strength to the guide wrap.

I personally would just stick with the single guide wrap. It makes for a better looking wrap in my opinion...and size D thread is plenty strong. I have never heard of anyone fishing and having a guide fly off the rod because it only had a single wrap of thread on the guides.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: February 06, 2010 11:03PM

I build about 100-150 of these a year. Double wraps are always utilized for my wraps and on some faster blanks, I even triple wrap them. On Calstar blanks, I feel that you are fine to wrap another wrap and then finish again. I actually now do that on Calstars as the fast action and roller guidefeet sometimes case pop under the thread. So, you are fine to wrap another layer and finish again.

Kevin

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 12:36AM

I absolutely agree with Jay for the following reasons:

The breaking strength of Size D Rod Wrapping thread is 7.4 Lbs as stated at this link: --- > [www.jannsnetcraft.com]

So if the guides has 25 turns on each foot of the guide, that's a total of 50 turns. 50 turns times 7.4 Lbs = 370 Lbs. To be conservative, cut that value in half = 185 Lbs which is the strength of the the thread holding the guide on to the rod. As Jay stated: "Double wrapping over the guides, in my opinion, only helps to safeguard against chafing in rods that are mishandled."

So, If you are worried about chafing, put a 2nd coat of epoxy of the existing rod finish. (scuff it with scotch brite first)

Then, go catch your yellow fin.

Rena

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: February 07, 2010 11:29AM

You're fine without adding another layer of thread, but your rod will look better longer with another layer. It's not a strength issue, as one layer of size D is plenty strong enough, but as Kevin said with time you'll see some cracking around the guide feet and the next layer of thread will keep that from happening. Personally, I'd use size A for your top wrap and you can use a contrasting color as well to make it more unique.

Date: February 07, 2010 11:41AM

Adding the layers of thread is not about adding strength, its about adding the "Rebar" to the finish which gives the finish added strength and something to soak into and absorb to give better adhesion throughout the wrap. This is what will keep the guidefeet attached firmly to the blank.

Exactly this point is what I love about rodbuilding. Ask 60 people a question and you will get 60 different answers. None of them wrong. Well, almost all of them, anyway. LOL

Kevin

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2010 01:49PM

Very early in my rod building career, I built a pair of 50lb class trolling rods. They were built on Fenwick blanks and used Aftco Unibutts. They were fished for marlin and I got a chance to see how one overwrap would compare against two overwraps on the same rods used in the same way. I loaned them to a friend who operated a charter service weekly for about 8 months out of the year. Both were underwrapped in A, and overwrapped in D. But one had a double overwrap.

Roughly two years after they had been in service, I got one of the rods back. It was the one with the single overwrap. The guides hadn't come loose nor had they moved or shifted, but a couple of the wraps had been abraded to the point that the guide feet were showing through in spots. In all the years I built heavy offshore trolling and stand up rods, this was the only rod where I had this happen. Maybe this rod suffered unusually, I can't really say. I suppose a fisherman can tear up anything if he treats if roughly enough.

From the standpoint of strength, no, you certainly don't need a double overwrap. But if you're building for a charter client, or someone that is really going to put the rod through it's paces week in and week out, I'd recommend using a double overwrap on any rod intended for 50lb class or higher. The slight additional weight will never be noticed on these heavier rods and the extra durability may turn out to be a real plus many years down the road.

Posted by: Bill Davidor (---.dsl.renocs.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 05:35PM

Chris,
I am also in Reno.
If you're interested in getting together feel free to contact me.
I unblocked my email address earlier today.
Bill

Date: February 07, 2010 09:58PM

TOM,
I have gotten other guys singe wrapped rods and I can say whole heartedly, double wraps are necessary. Thicker finish also. The single wraps and thin finish come to me with cracked finish on top of the end of the guidefoot.

Not saying your incorrect, just saying what I see in my rebuilds. I am almost exclusively offshore and I get a lot of rods to rebuild.

Kevin

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2010 10:07PM

Note that I recommended the double overwrap on such rods.

Posted by: Chris Cattell (---.dsl.renocs.pacbell.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 01:20PM

Thank you all the your responses. I cannot thank you enough. I will wrap a second layer. Thanks again.

Chris Cattell

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster