I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

South Bend 59
Posted by: John P. Rivera (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 06, 2010 08:39PM

I've acquired a South Bend 59...9ft...3 piece...has anyone ever taken a rod like this, in marginal shape, and rebuilt to to a 7.5 foot trout rod? Is this well with the realm of "workable"? What are the pitfalls, and the advantages? What should one be aware of?

Thanks in advance, John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: South Bend 59
Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: February 07, 2010 10:39AM

John, I have made many so called mini rods from longer bamboo rods. I try and be sure that I haven't ruined a "classic" first. The model 59 was a fairly common one and if it is in good shape I would not cut it, however if it is not in pristine original shape then go ahead. I don't know what power your plan for your new rod is but the easiest way would be is to shorten your rod from the butt end. If you save the mid and tip for your new rod then you can cut the butt and build on it. I would build a new handle and use the old ferrule for a detachable handle. If you make your new handle with the ferrule at the end of your cork handle then you would have a new rod of about a 3-4 wt.and about 7 ft in length. I usually strip it down to the wood and put on 3 coats of tru oil then set your eyes and proceed. I would finish the thread with 3 light coats of permagloss. Avoid heavy epoxy finish on bamboo or you will have a round rod with heavy finish. If you need further assistance feel free to e mail me.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 10:58AM

John,
Cutting a foot and a half off of that rod will make it a lot slower, which you may or may not like. Try casting it, holding it where the new grip would go, and see what you think.
Things to be aware of, as you tear-down:
There's a little pin that prevents the reel seat from twisting. If you remove the seat, without taking out the pin, you will damage the bamboo.
There may or may not be similar pins holding the ferrules in place.
The old varnish comes off very easily by scraping with a razor blade, held at 90 degrees, stroked along the rod's length.
If the cane is split, it's easy to fix; just pry the loose strips open, and hold open with toothpicks or straight pins. Apply Titebond III. remove toothpicks, and fit strips back together; then wrap with some thread. Once it's dry, remove thread, and scrape off excess glue, using 90 degree razor.
Check the ferrules under a magnifying glass for cracks, especially the male end. Replacement ferrules are available, but getting harder to find, especially a South Bend 11/64 male!!!
To remove a "set", you can try DRY heat (steam might loosen the glue that holds the rod together), or gravity (hang the rod by it tip top. This may take a while, but it does work).
Those are some of the pitfalls...
Is it worth it? I think so. I love the way bamboo feels and looks. One huge advantage: Bamboo is a lot more durable than graphite. It can withstand some of those side impacts that would just destroy graphite. Another advantage (at least to me, as I live in Colorado, where lighting strikes are quite common) is that bamboo is a much poorer conductor of electricity, not that I'd tempt fate, by standing in a river, with any kind of a rod in my hand during an electrical storm.
There are dedicated bamboo rod forums, if you can't find your answers here. Good luck!
George

Posted by: John P. Rivera (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 05:33PM

Sam and George...thanks for some great advice...I think building a new detachable grip might get me the best of both worlds...I tend to believe the simple solution is usually the most palatable...now...to find a female ferrule and some bamboo to build the handle...this is the whole fun of this new hobby of mine...

And George...thanks for the tips on fixing the cane when it splits...I actually have that situation on the tip section with this particular situation...

I was on the fence with a long term plan for the rod, but I do find myself fishing creeks and streams the most often so making the rod shorter for that application was on my mind.

I paid $20 for the rod on Craigslist...the second tip is broken and I don't have the second half to that broken tip...I will strip the rod down and rebuild from there...new guides and a complete re-wrap should keep me busy for while...I plan to fish this rod...

Best,

John

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: February 07, 2010 09:44PM

John, if you do not want to keep the bottom section then make your new handle on it. If you want to keep it and have a 9 ft rod as well as a shorter one then get another piece of bamboo for the handle or use a piece of old rod of any kind and make a new handle on it and get another matching ferrule from mudhole or netcraft and use the female part to match the male on your mid section and use it on your new handle. The rod piece will be inside of your handle and you will not see it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster