I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shipping Tubes?? (Opinions)
Posted by: Alberto Ribas (---.dhcp.ksu.edu)
Date: February 04, 2010 10:24AM

Hey guys I am about to ship out 5 rods to a friend. This is my first time shipping rods out as I usually just bring them down in my vehicle at semester's end. What are you recommendations on the rod tube? Hopefully I can get a tube that fits all five rods to reduce the shipping cost. I am thinking of using Fedex Ground to ship the rods. Any advice would be great. Thanks Much

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shipping Tubes?? (Opinions)
Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 11:04AM

I ship rods Fedex in PVC pipe

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 11:18AM

PVC pipe and caps.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 11:23AM

Schedule 40 PVC pipe with end caps.
Leave room for an inch of foam in each end cap.
Fill in extra space with bubble wrap.
Pretty much bullet proof!!! :)

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 11:23AM

I use the post office and use drain tubing with out the holes. 4" ID I get at Home Depot.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 11:24AM

SC40 PVC as others have mentioned. The shipping companies are masters at breaking tubes....they can break SC40...but it's harder to do than the lighter PVC>

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 11:58AM

USPS and PVC.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: February 04, 2010 01:00PM

160 psi PVC weighs 1/2 that of SDR 40 and is plenty strong. Wrap rods in bubble wrap and a bit at each end.

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.140.184.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 01:29PM

If you want the absolute best chance of avoiding the gremlins, use the sch 40 gray PVC conduit (Lowe's or Home Depot). The bonus is you'll probably find it cheaper than the white. It comes in sizes large enough for your five rods.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Posted by: brad baker (216.198.182.---)
Date: February 04, 2010 07:41PM

I have done the same. Use heavy PVC and I use UPS. I set up online with them to actually come to my house and pick up. All you do is print up a shipping lable and plaster it to the PVC and wait for them to show up. I have also used this same method to transport on the airlines. Un breakable. You'll see when it gets to it's destination all the marks and gouges and thank yourself for getting heave PVC. If you look on Mudhole.com you can also fing nice tube ends and fancy straps you could use for transport etc. They are made to attach to your PVC tubes. Hope this helps

Brad

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: February 06, 2010 04:39AM

How much do these 160si PVC cost per foot? And caps cost?

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster