I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need a replacement lathe motor for a Clemens wrapper
Posted by: Will Dornan (---.wyom.net)
Date: February 03, 2010 11:15PM

I may have fried my motor on my Clemens rod lathe. The motor is probably 15-18 years old and has been used to turn a fair number of cork handles. It is the same motor that Renzetti sells with their lathe but the pulleys and drive shaft are set up a little different now. Is there a good source for these motors? I may call Renzetti, but I wondered if there where other sources. I am going to blow out the dust with an air compressor and see how it runs but the motor got really hot. I don think that is good.
Thanks Will

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need a replacement lathe motor for a Clemens wrapper
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2010 11:19PM

Those are Dayton motors and you can probably save a few bucks by going direct through a company like Grainger.

The same pulleys will fit either the Clemens or the Renzetti. The older units had the motor mounted to the back of the headstock on a hinge and later ones mounted the motor directly to the bed. But the motor shaft and headstock shafts are the same. So the same pulleys will work on either.

I really recommend the 1/10HP variable speed motor that Renzetti offers. Just a tremendous improvement in turning power but you retain the good thread wrapping characteristics that you have on your present 1/15 HP motor.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 12:25AM

I wouldn't waste money on another 1/15th HP. I've gotten GREAT use out of teh current one I have but when I use my friends' Renzeti's I realize that I wouldbe much better suited if I had the 1/10th. I do have a 1/4HP mounted behind my headstock, but it's a pain toswitch pulleys and belts, plus no foot pedal.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 07:25AM

Will,
Another option, which will cost about the same money - is to pick up one of the variable speed dc motors that are being used on many of todays new lathes.

You may have to make a few changes, but you can then remove some of the pulleys and simply drive the head stock directly.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 07:32AM

p.s.
An example of a replacement variable speed DC motor is as follows:

[www.pennstateind.com]

---
Note:
To use this motor as a power wrapper to get 0 speed would require further modification.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 08:19AM

Making a ton of modifications = time = money = not the same amount of money unless you work for free or just don't value your time. The 1/10th HP is more than sufficient to wrap guide and shape EVA and cork, and even Hypalon, and requires nothing more than buying the unit and replacing the one he currently has. No need to complicate something so simple.

Posted by: Will Dornan (---.wyom.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 06:15PM

Thanks for the input. I will try the 1/10 motor. When smoke comes out of the motor and it is too hot to touch that must mean my grip is done.
Thanks again.
Will

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster