I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping for color
Posted by: Bob Lacaskey (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2010 02:56PM

I get the impression that some builders like an underwrap in metalic, and an overwrap in nylon (NOT NCP) They claim that without using color perserver, the underwrap will enhance to color or the overwrap. My question is this...duh...is the underwrap in this application done on the blank, then put the guide foot on and do an overwrap? Or are both wraps done over the guide foot?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping for color
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: February 03, 2010 03:15PM

Underwraps are indeed under the guide. They are pretty much standard practice on saltwater rods. I don't think they are needed on most fresh water and lighter saltwater rods. However there are an excuse to add a little more color. In general the underwrap would be the lightest color and anything wraps over top them would be a darker color.

I'll let others comment on NCP/color perservative.

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: February 03, 2010 03:19PM

Bob, I think what you're asking about is a bleed-thru guide wrap. If so, you first do a under-wrap of metallic thread (usually silver or gold, but whatever you like) and then wrap your guide on with regular nylon thread and apply your epoxy directly without using CP. The turns the regular nylon thread translucent and gives you a kinda' candy apple finish. This works especially well with reds, med. blues etc, but black thread just gets blacker (the best black I think) and doesn't give the candy apple effect.

Posted by: stan lothamer (---.aubnin.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2010 03:44PM

the metallic over the guide foot hids the guide foot other wise the guide foot shows through the no cp wrap i done this on a muskie rod gold and red nice candy apple red stan

Date: February 03, 2010 04:57PM

Yes, my plan is an underwrap in silver metalic, and an overwrap with ruby red nylon. I guess I don't use CP on either wrap?. Also, I do want translucent effect, but I don"t want the guide foot to show through.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 03, 2010 06:01PM

If you want a translucent wrap the guide foot will show through. If you want the guide foot not to show then you have to use color preserver but your wraps won't be translucent. You can't get it both ways.

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: February 05, 2010 11:35AM

Bob, actually you can have it both ways, but you'll need to first wrap the guide on with your metallic thread (as well as the under-wrap) and then wrap over with the nylon. So you end up with the guide double wrapped. As far as using CP on the metallic, it's not necessary, but some find it helpful when wrapping a second layer of thread on top of the metallic. I always coat my under-wraps with a light coat of epoxy finish before wrapping the guide, as I feel I get better finish with several light coats of finish added at each step rather than a heavy coat at the end. But, many builders do it the other way, so whatever works for you is best for you.

Date: February 05, 2010 05:07PM

Thanks Bill, I thought that your idea would work, just thought it might be too much thread. Or I might opt to let the guide show through and cover that part with a jungle cock feather or something decorative.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster