I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wire-line trolling guides
Posted by: Tom White (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2010 03:56PM

I'm rebuilding 4 old glass rods, 6 1/2 - 7 foot, for Wisconsin laker trolling with 30 - 40 pound wire. Tips are between size 8 - 11 and all have old roller tips. Customer wants new roller tips, any favorites? Also, are carbide and silicon nitride boat guides the way to go? These rods will done "retro" style and the guy will be using some really nice vintage Penn and Pfleuger levelwinds.
Thanks,
Tom

Tom White
Rod & Reel Restoration

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wire-line trolling guides
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2010 07:40PM

Tom,
If I was going to redo a wire rod - I would go with roller guides and tips all of the way.
Tough to beat the rollers to reduce friction.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2010 08:37PM

Silicon Nitride was introduced for wire line rods. They work well and hold up just fine.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 12:19AM

And they are nicely priced.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tony Childs (152.72.151.---)
Date: February 04, 2010 02:38AM

I build about 30 wireline trolling rods for great lakes salmon guys every year. The Silicon Nitride guides are fine for fishermen that fish occasionally. For charter or serious sportfishermen, go rollers, the SN guides will at some point groove. I have a pair of them running on a charter boat out of Ludington. This particular charter runs about 200 trips a year and his wire rods are the first in and last out every day. After two seasons, you can see and feel damage to the rings. They may fail this year, or three from now, but they will fail. I guessing that they will last somewheres between 300-500 fish caught before needing replacement, which is similiar to some longline fishermen's feedback I got a while back on them. Most of us sportfishermen will never catch 300 fish on any single trolling rod in a lifetime, so if that is the intended frequency of usage, don't hesitate to use them. My own personal wire line rods are SN in a spiral and twilly tip. I do about 20 salmon trips a year and have fished these rods for three seasons now and see no abrasion on mine, yet.

I have found that the "Twilly" tip is actually better for wire than even the very expensive swivel tips. With roller tips and roller guides, the rod's twist will cause the wire to come out of the roller groove and make short work of the roller tips frame, not to mention curling the wire line like a ribbon and scissors. Guide up rods with wire really torque due to the no stretch thing. The Twilly isn't much to look at, but it is cheap and is the most effective way to tame wire line. The Twilly also works equally well with a spiral configuration. Wire line is a huge part of Great Lakes weaponry, thus I have spent lots of time and money experimenting with this application.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 07:29AM

Tony,
After the post, I did further research and learned about the Twilly tip.
I can see where the twilly tip - with its abilty to avoid wire line tangles at the tip, and its ability to keep sharp bends from happenning to the wire really make sense to me to use on a wire rod.

Thanks for the updates.
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 08:21AM

Take a look at these: [www.aarollerguides.com]

Some builders even combine ring guides with rollers.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2010 08:23AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Joe Meehan American Tackle (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 02:10PM

Tom, Our Carbide guides and tops are made especially for wire line. [www.americantackle.us]

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: February 04, 2010 03:40PM

I have used the American Roller spiral tip with some success by utilizing a couple of single foot 6mm sic guides wrapped right onto the tube. It does imitate the twilly by funneling the wire and having some impact on not allowing the wire to get into the hardware on the frames of such guides. Here is the kicker for me. At $7, the twilly gets it done effectively. Spending $20 or more for a roller tip, then adding $15 in SIC guides, more wraps and finish, it just doesn't make sense. Now, on a high end, top dollar rod where absolute asthetics are implied, the extra money is probably warranted. The "Twilly" is as ugly as it gets for a custom rod. Performance is equal. It ends up being a personal decision based on what type of value the customer is looking for-practical or asthetic. I have a spec rod for wire that I will be using myself this next season. I have tried to combine the best of both worlds. I will spiral the wire around the blank using SN boat rod guides, then use American 180 degree rollers to finish out the rod. I haven't seen a SN wire line rod with any damage on the transition guides yet, just the high stress guides. Haven't decided, but will probably put a twilly on it. One other sidenote is that you need to make very sure that you use high enough framed transition guides to GUARANTEE that the wire cannot touch the blank under maximum stress. If it even scuffs the blank, it will cut it like butter.

Posted by: dan kramer (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 03, 2016 03:28PM

building a wire rod rated 40 to 80 its an 8ft for striped bass will pull bunker spoons can anyone help roller guides or sic i don't mind the extra work thanks

Posted by: dan kramer (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 03, 2016 03:30PM

building a wire rod rated 40 to 80 its an 8ft for striped bass will pull bunker spoons can anyone help roller guides or sic i don't mind the extra work thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster