I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss storage
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2010 04:48PM

Any tips on how to prevent the Permagloss from "bonding" the cap to the bottle after having used some of it? I've seen recommendations about keeping it in a slightly larger bottle in the fridge, and have done that, but I still had the cap bond so tightly to the bottle that I broke it getting it off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss storage
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: February 03, 2010 04:55PM

sounds like you might want to try wiping off the top of the bottle after you pour it (I'm guessing it's getting on the bottle threads, then into the cap threads once it's screwed down).

Sammy Mickel was selling cans at the ICRBE last year that worked very well. They were stain size cans and you put the screw in the side. Nice for a smaller amount of PG.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.nclxtn.lexcominc.net)
Date: February 03, 2010 05:03PM

We'll be at the Show again this year with the cans and some other awesome deals.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2010 05:58PM

If you're using the 4 oz. bottle of Permagloss (recommended) discard the plastic cap that it comes with (but hang on to that clear conical tapered insert/seal) and get a metal Testors Cap off of a 1/2 oz. model paint bottle (I bought the $1.25 brush cleaner and discarded the contents and the bottle). Be sure that every time you take the bottle out of the fridge and pour out what you need to use, wipe the threads on the bottle and cap clean with Denatured Alcohol. I've personally found no need for any further storage container. I've had my current 4 oz bottle for about a year now and it has about 1 oz. left. It still flows just fine.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 03, 2010 06:38PM

Please for regular Perma Gloss use:

I reccommend two four ounce bottles to fill the can initially.

Consider the frequency of opening the bottle when estimating how long is will last.

Visit Sammy's booth and PUT IT IN THE CAN!

I use Perma Gloss for at least 20 applications a week - year round -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2010 07:52PM

Sammy - is your booth Mickel's Custom Rods (B6)?

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: February 03, 2010 08:06PM

Yes - that's Sammy. That one thing made me happy for showing up. Last year they went pretty quickly.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2010 08:09PM

Thanks - do you happen to know if he makes a 4 ounce size?

I am a hobbyist and cannot see buying more than 4 ounces for my uses.

Rick

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 03, 2010 11:52PM

I keep mine in the fridge, on the door. After poring what is needed, wipe the top of the bottle off WELL I use a paper towel. When I put the top back on I don't tighten it real hard. had some in the fridge for over a year, and still good.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 04, 2010 08:03AM

Bill Boettcher -

In the year that you had the Perma Gloss in the fridge on the door -

How many times did you open the top of the bottle and remove finish for use on a rod?

Date: February 04, 2010 08:09AM

i don't know, but every time I did I wiped the bottle threads well with a paper towel, and never put the top on real, real tight, but still it was closed. Even a little alcohol on the towel will help keep them clean. When I get it new I put it in the fridge.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2010 08:11AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 08:29AM

Good tips, guys, thanks. I had wiped the threads before, but evidently, not carefully enough. Does the Testors cap work better because the PG doesn't bond as well to metal?

Date: February 04, 2010 08:55AM

never new they fit. Good tip. Like you say the cap will be easier to remove. I have broken several of the plastic caps

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 04, 2010 01:55PM

Mine's in the fridge as well, wipe the threads after use. I lay it on it's side, don't know why, but it's ready every time I use it. Using the same bottle for over a year, just wiped down an old Seeker last week. I get worried each time I take it out because of the cloudiness, but it clears up as soon as it warms.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 04:58PM

If you buy the 4oz permagloss, also buy a tiny "Testors" bottle of paint or better yet brush washing solvent, take the top off the permagloss and throw that plastic POS cap in the TRASH, and replace it with the METAL cap off the 1oz testors bottle and you'll never have permagloss problems again! Make sure to save the plastic liner (before you throw the cap away LOL) from the original PG cap and use that liner in the metal cap from the Testors bottle. Right now I have a 4oz bottle of PG that has about 1/2" of PG left in it and it's STILL FINE, no refrigerator, no freezer, no can, no baggies...nothing but a cap change an use the original cap liner from the PG. It helps to also open and close the PG quickly as possible and not to leave the cap off for any length of time, the longer the cap is off, the faster you'll loose the PG. Remove the cap, pour out what you need and replace the cap INSTANTLY.

DR

Date: February 04, 2010 09:54PM

It takes 10 drops of Perma Gloss to apply two coats to nine micro guides.

How do you pour out 10 drops

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 05, 2010 04:50AM

You dont Bill...you just loose a little here and there (waste).

DR

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2010 08:37PM

It's been a while, guys. Howdy!

Great tip on the Testors caps for PG bottles! I always seemed to crack those darn plastic caps on the second or third use. I'll remember that one...and use it if I ever get back into building. I've not built a rod in a couple of years. Mainly because I've moved around a bit and have no room (not to mention all my equipment is in storage in another state).

Great tip...thanks!

Jay

Posted by: Tony Wilson (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2010 05:22PM

Bill,
Is that just a self tapping screw in the bottom of the can you store PermaGloss in?

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster