I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

muskie rod blanks rated up to 16 oz. lures
Posted by: peter gersumky (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 02, 2010 01:27AM

was wondering if anyone has seen any muskie rod blanks that can handle BIG baits ??? i want to use this rod for throwing really big swimbaits . i have only found Reaction Strike muskie rods like the "super magnum" (rated for 4-16 oz. lures) but i would have to wait 90 days after purchase to then receive the blank . anyhow , if any one can help , id really appreciate it , thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: muskie rod blanks rated up to 16 oz. lures
Posted by: Jason Wenzel (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 02, 2010 02:03AM

st. croix makes the 2m79xxxhf that is rated 8-30 oz.

Date: February 02, 2010 02:42AM

that thing is a pool cue !!! it has a size 12 tip , not what im looking for , but thanks ...

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2010 08:17AM

Try surf blanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2010 11:29AM

Peter,
Check the Diamondback blanks.
Lots of the local builders here in the midwest use the Diamondback blanks with great success for Muskie blanks.

Light and tough.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 02, 2010 01:03PM

That's alot of weight, but you might look at the Rainshadow new saltwater/muskie blanks. One is rated for 8oz. Gave those folks a call.

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 02, 2010 02:05PM

I've built rods for casting pounders for clients before. The blank with the highest appreciation from my clients for tossing pounders was the Calstar grafighter in the 9 foot 30-80 pound rating. It is by far not a pool cue. One of my client is sponsored by muskie innovations so that's why he needed the rod for casting those giant plastics before anybody else was getting them. Supposedly there are now two-pounders out. I am building up that gigantic croix but not for plastics as it's too stiff for those, but more for giant poppers in the salt. Hope this helps. PS, the 9 foot length was requested. I fish 8 footers, but the guys I built for a veritable giants that required the length to help in their figure 8s.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2010 04:36PM

Depending on how long of a blank you want - if you have the CCS System set up, you can measure any blank and find out what lure it will handle and how much to trim off, before you trim. This way if you find some thing that almost fits the bill, and is a little long, it can be trimmed to suite your needs.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 02, 2010 09:53PM

You might want to look at the Batson Swim Bait Blanks, here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 03, 2010 11:38PM

In case you want to throw something heavier, you can also take a page from the japanese popper chuckers and use the ferruled reel seat from fuji. I take a gator glass butt section of a standup rod for the handle and use a calstar 7 foot grafighter rated 40-100 pounds and crop 2 inches off the butt and voila...you have yourself a stick that can chuck double pounders all day long. Just make sure your connections are solid as a rock.

Date: February 04, 2010 01:48AM

i have 2 rods built on rainshadow blanks , one rated for 2-6 oz. lures and the other rated for 3-8 oz. lures . both have moderate fast tips and i'm looking for a fast tip . i think i'm just gonna have to go ahead with the muskie inovations bulldog muskie blank , the "super magnum" . but first i will look into the Calstars , thanks everyone !!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster