I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lumiseal question
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 01, 2010 05:25PM

I received one of the free bottles of Lumiseal that was offered a few months ago. I'm just getting around to rebuilding an existing rod of mine, guide removal, epoxy removal, etc. My plan is to also remove the old finish and re-coat the blank with Lumiseal.

I have two questions:

1) Can Lumiseal be tinted with a bit of Testor's paint?

2) I noticed that when I held the bottle of Lumiseal up to the light, still unopened and plastic seal intact, that it did not flow down when I inverted it. In fact it doesn't even appear to move. Can this be warmed similar to A/B epoxies used for thread be make it workable again?

Thanks,

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lumiseal question
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 01, 2010 06:08PM

I have it and have used it. it is similar to permagloss, but a lot thicker. I have thinned it but only with mid-temp lacquer. Don't know if there is some thing better for this. I like the stuff. Should be able to tint just like Permagloss.

Your best bet is to call Scott at Fish Sticks and ask. They use it all the time and should know.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2010 06:09PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2010 11:02PM

If it's not moving, it may be set up in the bottle. It is a moisture curing urethane and these tend to sometimes set in the bottle depending on how they were packed and how old they are. Good products but somewhat temperamental.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 01, 2010 11:43PM

Tom, Im judging by your response that applying heat probably won't soften it. I opened the bottle and poked it with the non-business end of a paint brush. It was a rubbery consistency throughout the whole bottle.

Well, at least it didn't cost me anything. I'll probably still order some because I'd really like to give it a try.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: February 02, 2010 08:05AM

Chad, I'd order it. I've tried other similar products and I liked lumiseal the best, it's lower odor and a touch more forgiving.

Date: February 02, 2010 08:06AM

I keep mine in the refrigerator. not the freezer. There it keeps for a long time

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: February 02, 2010 09:33AM

I thought it would be okay in my basement, at least this time of year. My rod room, (man cave), is a constant 60 degrees when I'm not in there and there's not much humidity. I probably just got a bad bottle..no harm no foul...I'll just order another one.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Date: February 02, 2010 09:41AM

To quote Red Green, "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Or Rich LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: February 02, 2010 09:41AM

Chad, Give us a call and we will send you a new bottle. After reading this I went and checked all of the bottles we had packaged when we did the samples and all appeared to be in good shape. Thanks for wanting to try it. I really enjoy using it for the applications I have used it on, and you should very well be able to tint it also. Thanks
Scott

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 02, 2010 09:59AM

I had some trouble with the first bottle Scott sent to me...the product was partially set up in the bottle. He graciously provided a 2nd bottle, and that one was MUCH better.
I have never used Permagloss so I cannot make any comparisons, but I do like the way this one looks on the blank.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: February 02, 2010 12:35PM

Scott, thank you for your gracious offer. I just spoke with Karen and provided my address information. I look forward to trying out this product!

Thanks,

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster