I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Wrapping
Posted by: Mark Beseler (---.mvp.usace.army.mil)
Date: February 01, 2010 10:14AM

Is there a need to make several wraps on the top side of a single foot guide. I'm talking about the void were the guide foot meets the rod blank.
I've seen it both ways, and would like your opinions.

Also, what's the best way to remove the small tags that show up when you tie off ? When you cut off the thread after completing the wrap. Better yet, how can I not end up with these tags all together.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Wrapping
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2010 10:27AM

Mark,

The wraps above the guide are blocking wraps and make it harder to pull the guide out from under the wraps. Even better yet is the Forhan locking wrap. There is an article in the library explaining the wrap. Click the Library link at the top of the page.

When you finish your wrap, pull the tag end toward the end of the wrap creating a small gap. No follow the tag down with a razor blade and cut your tag in the gap. When you pack the gap closed again, you won't have a tag sticking up.

Joe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2010 10:30AM

RodMaker has done several photo/articles on how to get perfectly smooth guide wraps. It's easier to show than to explain.

In short, you need to pull the tag end against the direction it exits and open a small gap in the wrap. Then, with a fresh, sharp single edge razor blade, lay the blade flush on the wrap and pull the tag end against the blade. The thread will part neatly and cleanly and disappear into the small gap you opened. Then use your thumbnail to press it closed. That's all there is to it.

I'm not sure what you mean by making wraps on top of the guide foot. You need to wrap the foot until it transitions into the leg of the guide. Keep the wrap level - you don't want to climb the guide leg with hit.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2010 10:32AM

Mark,
A nice finish for a guide wrap is to use a locking wrap - which does make several wraps on the to side of the bare blank, just past the guide. This does help to both lock the guide in place as well as to help fill that void.
Depending on the guide, rod, and use of the rod, this is optional.

The best way to remove the small tag end, is to try to minimize the tag end by trimming very close.
Stretch the tag end out and trim it as close as possible to the completed wraps by using a sharp razor blade or the use of small sharp fly tying scissors. I generally prefer the use of small sharp fly tying scissors, because scissors completely eliminate the possibility of nicking a completed wrap with a a sharp razor blade.

Then, after completing the trim of the tag end, use a burnishing tool to work the tag end back under the completed wraps. Use the burnishing tool to slightly separate the wraps in the area of the trimmed tag, push the tag end down to the bare blank and then work the wraps back over the tag end.

Since nylon guide wrapping thread stretches a bit, by the use of trimming the tag end under tension results in a very short tag end, that nearly disappears all by itself under the completed wraps. It only takes a brush or two with the burnishing tool to make it disappear completely.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 01, 2010 11:24AM

After trimming if you still have thread showing though, just take a bic lighter and pass it under the wrap with the thread to be trimmed under . FAST PASS, check with your fingers to feel how hot they get. If you go to close or leave it to long, it will burn the thread and it will unravel.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 01, 2010 11:38AM

Mark, if you put your whip finish thread in so that you have a little longer finish wrap to pull your tag back through.... then you can nip your tag short (right before you pull it back thru) and it will dissapear under the wrap when you pull it back and you will have NO tag to cut. Hope that made sense?

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: February 01, 2010 12:53PM

Just on the chance that Mark means something else......I don't have a problem cutting my tag ends so they are under the wrap....But I do have a problem with them sticking out like a sore thumb after I apply my finish. Before the finish they are hard notice. The problem seems more pronunced on lighter colored threads such as gold metallic. Regular black is never a problem.

I'm not making them too long....typically 5-7 wraps over the pull through loop. Could it be a sign of too much tension?

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: February 03, 2010 03:49PM

Something I do, expecially with single foot wraps is to leave the tag end of thread on there until your all through lining up the guides. This will keep you from popping the tag. When your ready to put finish on the rod then double check the guides alignment and then cut the tag end using any of the methods above

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster