I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Worn blank under thread?
Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: January 31, 2010 10:44PM

I was asked to rewrap a Browning bass rod for a friend. I removed the guides. The thread appeared to be a size D. Very large dia. I thought. The first 2 guides were casting guides. No wear on the blank. The remaining 6 guides were fly rod guides. The old finish was cracked and was pealing off the end of the warps. I cleaned off the old finish and discovered that there was a groove worn through the finish of the rod and exposed raw blank fibers. These grooves were under the starting threads in front of the guide. There was no wear under the guide itself.

Any comments on what might happened? The rod has seen a lot of fishing time and is at least 15 years old.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Worn blank under thread?
Posted by: Harold Dean (68.182.130.---)
Date: January 31, 2010 11:31PM

This is a long shot but is it on both ends of the snake guides or just one. If it's just on one, I have seen it done where they may have used a fine file or the likes to mark where the foot starts. Actually XXX XXX shows this on his rod building DVD. Your not suppose to cut through to the fibers though, just the top finish.

Just a thought
Harold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2010 12:04PM by Harold Dean.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 01, 2010 02:16AM

I just rebuilt a St Croix heavy Bass rod with a similar problem. The blank finish was worn completely away where the toe of the guide foot sat. This wear was only with the SF guides. The original thread finish was cracked and peeling away around the toe of the foot allowing moisture to get underneath the finish thus weakening the thread and rusting the guide foot. This rod has caught and landed many good sized Bass. My guess was that the guides were moving under the thread wrap wearing off the finish, sort of a pivoting side to side motion when fighting a fish. I rebuilt the rod using new guides and of course with a good Static Load test the guides definitely did not go back in their original locations. Luckily there wasn't enough wear to cause any fiber damage.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 01, 2010 08:17AM

Also check the bottom of the guides for bad guide prep. The bottom should be as smooth as a baby's backside.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 01, 2010 08:38AM

Harold, each spot was at the threads leading up to the front of the toe of the single foot guides. No wear in front of the eye of the guilde. I'm going to take of look at the guide feet.

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: February 01, 2010 09:37AM

A spiral wrap will cure that problem.

Date: February 01, 2010 10:01AM

Could be many things. Not the right tension on the wraps. Size ( A ) D not needed. Running guides may be I have seen, single foot Spinning Guides. They sit higher then fly guides and put more pressure on the guides so they may be moving back and forth. marking with a File ?? WOW. bad guide prep.

Builders are using micros with no problems, I have heard.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Harold Dean (68.182.130.---)
Date: February 01, 2010 11:58AM

Bill, I agree. I've never done it that way, just stating that it was shown on one of XXX videos, and if the wear is infront of the foot like Mark says and not under the foot, hmmmm.

Harold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2010 12:05PM by Harold Dean.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2010 11:58AM

I'd take some REAL good pic's and/or show that customer the worn areas, otherwise if the blank ever fails at one of these areas, you know who's fault that will be: yours!

I'd likely refinish that rod, you probably already plan too.

DR

Date: February 01, 2010 12:23PM

maybe you can get a complete build. just make sure he knows what -May - happen.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 01, 2010 09:44PM

The worn area was not below the guides but under the front threads before the toe of the foot. This is an old friend, but even if it was a stranger, I would point this out before proceeding any further. I wrapped 3 guides on it today and found what appears to be fibers proturding from the worn spots. That iced it for me not to proceed without a counsel with the owner.

Date: February 01, 2010 09:48PM

Thanks all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2010 09:49PM by Mark Marshall.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster