I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Redheart and Bolivian Rosewood
Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 08:21PM

Does anyone have any history in turning these? I am looking for a wood with a redish tint to it like Redheart for some handle/reel seat combos. I did a search and only came up with one hit so any advise would be great. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Redheart and Bolivian Rosewood
Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2010 08:58PM

I haven't turned redheart, but I have turned a bit of rosewood - no major issues.

Have you considered Mahogany or Sapele? they are a little softer, and do not splinter as much

Posted by: Rusty Byrley (---.houston-06rh15rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 09:20PM

I've turned bloodwood and rosewood and have never had any problems. The only wood that I have encountered serious problems with is Wenge. It was terrible but beautiful.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2010 10:19PM

Most Rosewoods are quite dark actually. Redheart and Vermillion are 2 that are brighter and more red in color.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: January 30, 2010 01:28AM

You might consider African Padouk:

[www.anexotichardwood.com]

Nice coloring and turns nicely. Relatively hard, slightly oily, but takes a nice finish.

Walt

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.30.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2010 07:26AM

I have turned many handles out of Cocobolo it's hard and heavy and it can have a redish tint depending on the cut.
A word of caution on some of the exotics: The dust from many of these produce an allergic skin reaction very much like poison oak , breathing it is even worse.

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.30.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2010 08:01AM

I have turned many handles out of Cocobolo it's hard and heavy and it can have a redish tint depending on the cut.
A word of caution on some of the exotics: The dust from many of these produce an allergic skin reaction very much like poison oak , breathing it is even worse.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 30, 2010 12:29PM

Keep in mind also that the rosewoods, cocobolo, etc are oily woods and do NOT accept any oil based finish (they won't absorb it or dry) There are things such as alcohol soaks that will alleviate that

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2010 04:43PM

Part of the problem with padauk, cocobolo and the other rosewoods is that they get darker over time. All woods change color as they age, but these change color fairly fast, getting darker and darker and darker quite quickly. It's no big deal if you understand it at the beginning of the project and adjust accordingly.

If I were you, I might consider a reddish piece of bubinga also, along with Tom's suggestions of redheart and vermilion. Bubinga can be golden OR reddish, so you'll have to have a wood dealer that will be willing to find some of the redder stuff for you.

Posted by: Tony Hanson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 31, 2010 10:39AM

In my experience, the reddest woods I've turned are paduak, redheart, and bloodwood. They've all become progressively more brown over time, but the one that seemed to stay the reddest is bloodwood.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: January 31, 2010 07:07PM

I've done several fly reel seats in pink ivory. it's a light red but by the time you add a finish it darkens only slightly and stays more red than other woods.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: February 01, 2010 10:12AM

Thanks for all the responce. I have picked up a few different types and will turn a few with some different finishes and see what tht out come is. I will post some photos when done.
Thanks again

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster