I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gudebrod One Part Rod Finish - and Glue?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 08:38AM

Has anyone used the Gudebrod one part rod finish much? If so, how does it hold up over the long haul?

Also - I just noticed they have a one-part, water based rod glue!!! Has anyone ever tried it?

Thanks,

Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gudebrod One Part Rod Finish - and Glue?
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2010 09:38AM

I tried both several years ago on my first few fly rod builds. First the glue: It did not bond anywhere as well as the the 2 part epoxies. Reel seat parts came loose after a month of use. So I would not advise its use. Second the one part finish which is water based also: It is somewhat durable and easy to use. I did find that it does not retain the shine and luster that a 2 part wrap finish will give you. It also was much more prone to cracking at the guide foot and I did a proper job of making sure that the guide feet were filed and tapered smooth. The three rods I built using these products were all stripped and redone using 2 part epoxies and 2 part wrap finishes. Save yourself the disappointment and go with the two part epoxies.

My personal favorite finish for wraps is Threadmaster Lite after trying several of the major brands of finish. I like U-40's Rod Bond for gluing up the cork and reel seat barrel to the blank and any of the 2 part epoxies for gluing the reel seat hardware together, metal to metal or wood to metal. After I made the switch to these type of products I have not had a failure yet and my own rods are on the water 75 to a 100 days a year. Some of my rods are used by clients when I am guiding and clients can be rough on equipment. You really cannot go wrong with any of the major brands of 2 part wrap finishes and bonding epoxies, its just that everybody finds the product that best suits their needs.

Re: Gudebrod One Part Rod Finish - and Glue?
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: January 29, 2010 11:06AM

I use the one part finish on feathers. You can thin it with water and it soaks them well and gets the air bubbles out. But when you have it all level you cover it with 2 part finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster