I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Most frustrating day
Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 03:57AM

What a day I had today. I have trying to finish a rod for a charity @#$%&. I was up until 2ish thursday morning putting CP on so I could put epoxy on it first thing allowing plenty of time for drying . I say 2ish because I fell asleep putting the CP on. My day starts out stepping into the shower. I hear a cracking sound only to see my tub cracking, I am talking serious crack that will leak water. I decide to deal with that later downstairs I go to put some finish on the charity rod. what do I see, but that in my haze the night before I forgot to line up the guides on the middle section of a 3 pc rod. No I have to tear most of them off re wrap it, and apply more CP. While the CP is drying I tackle the tub. I come up with a game plan, and execute. It doesn't look great but it should hold water. Back down to finish the rod. I am taking my time to make sure I have no more mistakes. I get to the last feew guides when I realize one of the wraps looks different.....hmmmm someone forgot to CP that guide. Apparently I lost track of where I was at when I woke up from my siesta the night before. While I am trying to clean off the finish to save some on clean up time tomorrow, I manage to knock my 4 rod dryer from its mount, and directly onto my foot. Not to much longer after that my GF arrives home and ask's how my day was, and What happened to the tub? All I could mutter was "I need to go on a diet"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Most frustrating day
Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: January 29, 2010 06:41AM

hehehe.......... Im laughing with ya not at ya. Weve all had those days.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 09:22AM

Kirk
Do ya feel better now that you vented LOL Rod Bond would have worked well on the tub. I used it on a coffee pot that got used every day on a crack and it lasted several years with no leaks.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2010 09:24AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: January 29, 2010 10:45AM

I have a running joke with my brother in law that 5 minute epoxy will fix anything. Hope your day goes better.

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 29, 2010 10:56AM

Don't go ice fishing in the next few days!!!!!?

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: January 29, 2010 11:14AM

Hi Kirk
That exactly why I like to give my self plenty of time for a build short deadlines are a recipe for disaster.
Hope the rod turns out great, post some pics.
Mike
Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 11:30AM

I would have been afraid to go to the bathroom after all that....

Posted by: Walt Davenport (63.97.59.---)
Date: January 29, 2010 12:35PM

I've had my share of those days, and I doubt you'll find many on this board that can't sympathize with you.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 12:35PM

Kirk,
Maybe time to pull out the tub and surround and replace it with a cast iron sink.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Dick Ross (204.9.111.---)
Date: January 29, 2010 01:54PM

A mans bathroom should be concrete from floor to ceiling, with a big drain hole in the middle to hose the palce down a couple times a year. A toilet that could suck the power out of a black star and rotating showerheads like a car wash. My wife wouldnt go along though. We have all ahd those days! Just recently I had to rebuid a grip 3 times because I kept screwing up. This too will pass....

Posted by: Ron Asker (---.lew.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 02:43PM

Falling asleep at the bench. Now thats dedication to the charity. I hope the rod fetches a great price for them.

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 03:03PM

TO alll thanks for taking the time to read my venting, and understanding. Its funny rod bond and 5 min epoxy were brought up. I used 10 minute rod bond, fiberglas sleaving to repair the crack.I am in the process of getting this place ready to sell. that should hold it until I can get to that project.

Thanks again for all the advice

Kirk

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2010 10:53AM

Dick,
After my father retired to Texas many years ago, he had an all concrete garage built.
In the back portion of the garage, he built a work shop.
On one end of the workshop, he built a bathroom.

Since he was a big man, he wanted a king sized soaking bathtub. So, he had the masons make a block tub that was 8 feet long, three feet wide and 3 feet deep. He then had the bathroom, including the tub tiled with ceramic tile.
Outside the bathroom, he installed a 100 gallon electric hot water heater. On the day before he wanted to have a nice long soak, he would turn the electricity on the hot water heater to heat the water for the soaking tub.
The next day, he would empty the entire 100 gallon electric hot water heater, along with a suitable amount of cold water for his nice long soak.

When we would come down to visit, the children would love to go "swimming" in his Man tub.

As the saying goes - if you want it, it can be built.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster