I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Grade my hand writting
Posted by: Shane Pierson (---.ip.alltel.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 02:44PM

I like it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chris Starling (---.gsk.com)
Date: January 27, 2010 02:53PM

It's definitely C)... that looks really good.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 03:01PM

Larry,
After tying many many different ink and pen combinations, we have finally settled on a very fine tipped quill pin by speedball.

[www.dickblick.com]

The material we use for the writing is Testors model paint.

One thing that is important is to get "fresh" paint. If the paint has been setting on the shelf for too long a period of time, it will have gotten a bit on the thick side.
It is tough to thin the paint to the right consistency - if it isn't right from the bottle.

Another thing is to be sure to clean the pen after every use. I use Xylene because it is a good solvent for the paint. You do have to be careful about the use of the solvent on the plastic quill. The Xylene will melt the plastic.
So, only dip the nib into the paint when writing and do not get the solvent on the quill or it will melt.

Some folks have had good luck with India ink. Unfortuantely, I have never been able to get it to work well.

Another thing that I do, is to do a good wipe down of the blank before lettering with Xylene. This will remove any finger prints, or any other contaminants - that might cause a poor writing job.

Once in a blue moon, I find that I don't get good adhesion to the blank. If this happens, I will do a very light scuffing of the surface with scotchbrite to get better adhesion.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 05:34PM

It is great-lots of character, is personal, honest, very legible, if I could do it that well I'd give up on decals. It really just doesn't get any better than what you've done.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (72.166.145.---)
Date: January 27, 2010 06:22PM

It would appear that the 4wt has a ring around the writing, is it a label that has been affixed?

Posted by: woody osborne (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 07:21PM

looks fine to me. no problems to me at all.

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 08:09PM

Andrew Metzger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would appear that the 4wt has a ring around the
> writing, is it a label that has been affixed?

Handwritten then water transfered, yes.

Posted by: mike burnette (209.105.132.---)
Date: January 27, 2010 08:24PM

That looks good.
mikeb

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 09:01PM

Looks real good to me, would love to see what it will look like with an extra fine pen.
Keep it up it adds a real personal touch!

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 09:54PM

Better than my and I'm jealous...

I have no idea what the previous guys are talkjing about....i don't believe ANY handwriting can compare to a properly applied Decal Connecttion decal...period. So drop the pens and go with clean-professional looking decals...

Just have to be honest with ya and pick option "A".

And respectfully,
Paul

Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.we.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2010 10:02PM

A lot better than mine
Ken

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (72.166.145.---)
Date: January 27, 2010 10:57PM

Larry Damore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Handwritten then water transfered, yes.

That looks good, I was pretty nervous recently with a build of mine, for a local fishing show, they wanted the shows name handwritten on the blank. About 3 hours of practice on scrap blanks later I got it done, not nearly as good looking as yours though. I spent another 2 hours working on it for a build I finished this past week and it looks much nicer, I'm sure it will come out nice on a fullsize rod. Ice rods are a pain to write on.

Posted by: Ron Asker (---.lew.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 12:39AM

I'd go with B. Its looking pretty good IMO. Those uchida markers can be tricky. Not enough pressure and it doesnt mark at all, too much pressure and you get more ink than you want

I had attempted hand writing inscriptions early on in my rod building adventures and gave up because it just wasnt good and I developed a few different label making skills instead. However, after having seen some artfully done handwritting recently I've spent about an hour over the past couple days working on my on technique. I have to say that I am getting much better. Having the rod level with my hand was key to improving the results. I am going to try the caligrophy pen method next....but I'm running out of scraps on which to scribble! I'll have to start marking up the handle areas on some stock blanks soon.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 10:25AM

A little # 400 and water and you can start over. Saves on your scrap. LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 11:37AM

Ron,
Just wipe the blanks down with Xylene and the ink and or other writing right off the blank.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mike Edmonds (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: January 28, 2010 01:23PM

Where might I take a look at this hand writing? I am very inerested in giving it a try.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 11:42AM

WOW! That's really nice. Even at my best, I could never get remotely close to that kind of penmanship. I finally had to go to decals.

Even as a rodbuilder myself, I'd be proud to have a rod with that kind of inscription on it.

Posted by: Greg Weaver (12.54.128.---)
Date: January 29, 2010 10:11PM

Can I grade your spelling? Just foolin' with you! Your handwriting on the blank looks great!

Posted by: Mike Edmonds (---.islc.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 10:18PM

Larry,

Looks great! Hope I can do as well someday. I could not see your photos before because I was at work and the government put a block on the photos.

Mike Edmonds
Captain Mike's,LLC

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster