I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bad fitting Ferrule ???
Posted by: Darrell Worley (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 26, 2010 03:30PM

I have a 13' fusion Mag it was replaced new tip same old butt I shipped back . The butt fits tight at the base and does not twist and actually fits deeper than my other
fussion mag but it knocks or clicks top of butt is too skinny . Can I hone the tip out or something to fix this . This is the first time I've came across this problem . Thanks for any
help ...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bad fitting Ferrule ???
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2010 03:41PM

Yes you can - there is a complete article on reparing and fitting ferrules in the upcoming issue of RodMaker that mails tomorrow. The photos are a big help.

In the meantime, if you are sure the ferrule fits tight at the bottom but the male end inside the female is loose at the top, then you need to trim a little from the bottom of the female ferrule. Go easy - take 1/8th inch or so off and check for fit. Repeat until you achieve a good fit.

I am assuming this is a tip-over-butt ferrule.

Date: January 26, 2010 03:53PM

Yes it is tip over butt Thanks. If I order rod maker now will it be the first issue ?

Date: January 26, 2010 03:55PM

Yes. It's pretty detailed (although not hard to do) but the information I gave you above should get you going on what you've got there.

Date: January 26, 2010 04:38PM

Thanks for your help ! I can't wait for the issue's . I wish I would have asked that question 6 months ago ..

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: January 26, 2010 06:15PM

If the problem is as you indicate, you can verify it in the following manner:

Place a small piece of cellophane tape where you suspect the fitting to be loose.
Assemble the ferrule and check for the knocking sound or feel.

Once you locate the area where the problem exists, remove the tape. Place a drop or two of crazy glue on a plastic bag. Use the bag to apply the glue to the desired area. It will apply a thin layer to the ferrule. Try the fit. You may need to either add another layer of glue or lightly sand the existing layer with fine grit sand paper.

I have used this technique successfully with prototypes. I would return a production rod/blank to the manufacturer.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: January 26, 2010 09:41PM

I would opt for the permanent fix by trimming. I have done a few this way and its easy and fixes the problem permanently.

Date: January 27, 2010 08:21AM

By the way, Ralph O'Quinn will be presenting a seminar on making and fitting ferrules at the Expo next month. His method differs from mine a good bit but works as well - it's also a permanent fix. If you happen to be at the Expo, you'll find his presentation to be well worth attending.

Seminar list and times
Posted by: Robert Moody (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 27, 2010 03:28PM

With such a large expo, will there be a schedule of seminars and demonstrations posted somewhere inside the center to try to keep track of events? Do you also know whether the expo center is handicapped equipped with power carts as I have a back problem that keeps me from walking long distances and standing the same for long stretches?Thanks Tom

Date: January 27, 2010 04:59PM

The seminar schedule will be posted several places inside. It is on the event website and in the magazine. You can even print it from the website if you like, and bring it with you.

The facility conforms to all state and federal handicap regulations as far as access is concerned. They do not, however, provide power carts.

If you have your own you are free to bring it and use it inside the exhibit hall.

Date: January 27, 2010 05:04PM

I don't know that this would help you at all, but the entire exhibit hall is carpeted and we provide some tables and chairs at one end for folks that want to take a break now and then.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster