I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

finish on cork
Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 09:32PM

An old builder friend of mine from years ago, always put a finish of permagloss on his cork handles to seal the cork. I use the cork sealant, but does anyone put another sealant over the cork. I think my rods need more protection on the cork. The cork gets too dirty, it seems to me. I tried to look in the search, but could not find anything.
Any suggestions?

Kyle Robinson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: finish on cork
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 10:22PM

I like Birchwood Casey Tru Oil as a finish on cork.. A single light coat will protect cork without darkening it much. Added coats will deepen the tone which is especially nice for highlighting the grain of Burl Cork and darkening Rubberized Cork. It can also create a very shiny finish with multiple coats which some find very attractive. You control the final texture by the number of coats and the final sanding you chose.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 26, 2010 07:22AM

I use permagloss.

One heavy coat, let sit about 15+ seconds and wipe away all excess with a coffee filter.

DR

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: January 26, 2010 08:58AM

Kyle, try tru-oil as suggested, I think it will give tou what you want. I use it on most of my graphite builds.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 26, 2010 09:00AM

I use thread finish. It is flexible which I like. I do thin it and just wipe on a thin coat I finial sand the cork with 150-220 paper clean well then coat. Don't want the handle too smooth or slippery.Gives the cork a golden color.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2010 04:47PM

For what it is worth I use Tru-oil on my cork spinning rod handles and apply several coats wih some light sanding between coats. I fish from a float tube and my rod handles are always wet but I don't have any problems with the cork being slick or hard to hold onto. After a year of hard use a light sanding and a new coat of Tru-oil brings back the old luster and I find the handles are easy to keep clean. JMHO

Posted by: Charles Palmer (---.cpe.metrocast.net)
Date: January 09, 2011 06:32PM

David, I am having a hard time locating Birchwood Casey Tru Oil. I have tried the major home improvement centers and some of the smaller hardware stores in my area to no luck. I have used cork seal in the past which works very well to bring out the colors in the burl but would like something that still leaves the grip with that silky smooth feeling.

Thanks,
Charles

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster