I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help finding the blank
Posted by: Walker_Nelson (69.198.19.---)
Date: January 25, 2010 05:00PM

I have what could be my first customer,however he threw me a curveball!

He wants a 7'6'' heavy / xtra fast rod built for flipping and frogs.
I dont know anyone who makes those specs..I can find fast,but not xtra fast??

I trying to find the blank for under $100 if possible to stay true to my quote...I told him from the beggining that it would be hard to find those specs....Anyone got a lead,or idea??

Thanks

Walker Nelson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help finding the blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2010 05:08PM

Now you're faced with a subjective term that can mean different things to different people. Just what is "extra fast" and how fast is "fast?" The resolution in a system with only 3 points, or 5 if you want to combine a couple or three, is extremely poor. What you think of as fast may already be what he considers extra fast. Maybe.

Lacking good AA numbers, I'd have him bring in the rod he's using now so you can figure out exactly what he means by "fast." Or have him come over and pull on some rods and blanks you may have in stock and give his opinion of what action he feels they have. That will give you some idea of where he wants to go.

Date: January 25, 2010 05:27PM

Thats really good advice Tom and your right!..I'll send him an email and see what we can work out..All my personal builds are fast action,and they all respond differnt (all different blanks) now that I think about it.

Walker

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2010 05:53PM

I think the challenge with extra fast, fast, moderate fast... is not the definition, nearly every manufacturer has very similar definitions, it is how to quantify these definitions. How do you quantify a rod that flexes mostly in the top 1/3 (the nearly universal definition of fast)? Any system that quantifies a rod's characteristics should do so. It's imperative for us as custom builders to speak the language our customers speak. After all, it is the same information given on nearly every bass rod sold anywhere in the world.

I like the following definition; "If one standardizes the deflection to equal one third of the rod’s length, the angle formed by the tip top will have the following relationship to rod action.
Action Angle – degrees---------Rod Action
below 59------------------------------Slow
59 - 62---------------------------------Moderate
63 – 66--------------------------------Moderate/Fast
above 66------------------------------Fast"

The only thing I'd add is a definition for Extra Fast, anything with an AA over 70 degrees.

To Walker's original question, you should check out some of the Back Bounce blanks. They are generally faster than many of the flipping sticks on the market. The Castaway Big Show BB1 and Rogue BB796 both have AAs over 70 degrees with the Rogue being a little less powerful.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2010 05:55PM by Robert Russell.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 07:32PM

Walker,
If after discussing it with the customer, as was suggested, you find that the customer does in fact want a rod that has a faster action then any of the available blanks do not give up. There is a way to build the rod that the customer wants by extending a fast action blank that is available. If you start with a fast action blank that has the power that you want and is about 6' long and extend it 16" you will end up with a rod that is about 7' 6" and extremely fast. The more you extend a blank the faster the action becomes. Extending blanks is one of the things that a custom rod builder can do to build unique rods that are not available from any factory rod source.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: January 26, 2010 03:56AM

The Lamiglas blanks that end in MT (magnum taper) have a very fast tip and may meet your requirements. There are several to choose from.
example from the 2009 blank catalog:
GLB 90 1MT, 7’6”, 1 piece, line 30, lure 1/2-2 1/4, butt .600, tip 6.5, weight 3 1/4, $87.00

Download the blank pdf file from their website and do a search on MT

Don

Don Becker

Date: January 26, 2010 08:06AM

The CCS doesn't use those terms at all - if you have numbers you do not need subjective terms. When was the last time you saw a thermometer that had corresponding terms next to the numbers such as:

0 to 30 - cold
31 to 6 - cool
61 to 80 - warm
80 and above - hot

The numbers are all that's needed.

Until you have such a thing, however, you'll have to establish a baseline by figuring out what your customer means by "fast." You can work upwards from there.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 26, 2010 09:22AM

Try checking out Calstar []

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 26, 2010 10:35AM

Guys I really,really appreciate the help,thank you all....I have a question about measuring the balnk action or degree
Whats the formula for that,or is there a chart similar to the guide spacing charts that Ive seen.

Walker

Date: January 26, 2010 11:25AM

[www.common-cents.info]

A shorter condensed version was in RodMaker Volume 12 #4.

Date: January 26, 2010 05:50PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.common-cents.info]
>
> A shorter condensed version was in RodMaker Volume
> 12 #4.
>
>
> ...................

Thanks Tom!!...I owe you a kitten!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster