I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Smallest Guides for a Flyrod 4 and 8 weight
Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 25, 2010 01:20AM

Hi,

I have done a thorough search on guide sizes, and every post has different guide sizes / opinions on the same rods.

I will be following the notion of using one size guide (not including stripers / tamers) all the way through to the tip.

For instance, I have seen recommendations on a #4 from size 1 SF, all the way through to the tip from the stripers, and a selection of 2,3,4,5 SF sizes all the way to the tip from the stripers.

I would just like to know what the smallest size SF wire guides I can use on a flyrod in 4 and 8 wieghts, after the two stripper/taming guides.

The largest / thickest fly line will be a 5wt WF Floater on the #4, and a 9 wt WF Floater on the #8. I mainly use a nail knot on the 4 and 8, and sometimes a loop to loop on the 8 as well.

Thanks,

Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smallest Guides for a Flyrod 4 and 8 weight
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 02:13AM

Good starting place is to go to say St Croixs site and check there sizes

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 25, 2010 02:36AM

Hi Bill,

I'm not looking for a guide spacing / sizing chart, as I already have most of that figured.

I am just after the smallest size guide that I can use on these flyrods.

Thanks again,

Richard

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 07:51AM

#4 - REC s/f 3 (Heavy wire) down to 1 (thin wire or heavy wire)
#8 - REC s/f (heavy wire) 4 or 5 down to 3
Make sure you use the REC Recoil tip-top. The lightest tip-top going and will inprove performance.
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2010 07:53AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 09:02AM

Check any knots line to leader to make sure they pass thought well
Not every ones knots are the same.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2010 09:03AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2010 10:06AM

I'd try a 2 on the 4-weight and perhaps a 3 on the 8-weight. Either should easily pass those lines and a nail knot should pass easily during a mornings rigging. I assume you won't be winding the nail knot back onto the reel until the end of the trip. Generally, my nail knot (line to leader connection) never comes back inside the tiptop until I'm done for the day.

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 11:00AM

I think Tom is right on the money.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.87.239.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 05:43PM

I've run size #2 SF guides for rods from 4 weight thru 8 weight. However I prefer to run double foot snakes on rods 7 weight or over. The nature of the opening prevents problems with knots or loop connectors.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 06:21PM

Richard,
Do yourself a favor. Do some testing.
Just tape on some fairly large guide for the buld of the rod, and then start putting smaller and smaller guides on the last one or two guides.
See if you come to a point that for YOUR line, and for YOUR knots, you get to a point that stops or slows your casts. If you go as small as you can and find no difference, stay there with those guides and start working back up the rod.

You can always take others recommendations, but every person uses different line, uses different knots, and has different techniques.

Most of the general recommendations are on the generous side to accomodate the bulk of all users. However, you may find that you need to stay larger, or that you can go much smaller for your particular techniques.

You should be able to do some testing in the back yard - even in the middle of winter and get a very good idea what works for your particular case.

All of the recommendations previously listed will work well .. It is up to you to decide if those recommendations are best for you, or if you should try something different.

Good luck
Roger

Date: January 25, 2010 09:28PM

Hi Guys,

As I am in Australia and buying online from the USA, I can't really try the guides to see what works.

I'll just order a few different sizes and see how I go.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Richard

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster