I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

casting handle length
Posted by: Ron Flynn (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 07:04PM

evenin getting ready to build a 7ft crankbait rod out of a st croix scI glass blank. would like to get some suggestions on handle lengths. including butt grip length , reel seat & foregrip length & any ideas for split grip length

thanks much r flynn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: casting handle length
Posted by: Jim Fielding (69.196.211.---)
Date: January 24, 2010 10:49PM

I like for the butt on my crankin stick to hit the meaty part of forearm 3" short of my elbow. Lets me pin the butt between my forearm and ribcage to take pressure off my wrist during a loooong day crankin. Thats just my preference and puts the start of my reel seat at 10.75" from the butt. I prefer split grip with a fairly robust butt diameter and the OD of the main grip to fill up the void in the heel of my hand with the reel palmed and stop short of my wrist flex point on length. No foregrip.

The main thing is to set it up so that it is comfortable for you and suits your fishing style. Dry fit and play with it till you find what's comfortable for you.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 24, 2010 10:50PM

i usually do 8" to 9" from butt to end of reel seat. 3.5" of grip behind the seat. 2-3" of grip on the butt for a split grip. I personally don't use grip in front of the seat

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 12:53AM

Start with 9" split grip on a 7 ft. batcasting crankbait rod - go up if you like better balance or longer handles - go shorter if you fish aggressively with short casts in the trees. Try 2 1/2 on the front and 2 1/2 on the back - forget the foregrip unless you actually grip there during the retreive - it's a relic from the past of following convention and not understanding that form should follow function.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 11:00AM

I like a split grip as well and like the overall length to be where the end of the rod hits just above my elbow. So you have to determine on how you hold the rod, what the length will be if you do it this way. For the portion right behind the reelseat, for the way I hold the rod, I like that length to be between 3.5 and 4 inches. It is just more comfortable for myself. Anything shorter and the end of that and my whole hand is not on the grip and digs into my hand too much.

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 11:14AM

Thats why they call it custom. Make it as long or short as you or your client likes it.
Paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 12:13PM

Ron,
I think it really depends on the preference of the fisherman. It also depends on the power of the rod as well as the expected fish to be caught by the rod.

If you are after really big fish - i.e. something bigger than about 15 lbs - many fisherman like to have a handle long enough so that they can tuck it against the front of them and then use the rod as a lever to help land the fish.

Conversely, if the expected fish are smaller, the butt of the rod is normally not used against the front of the fisherman and in fact tends to get in the way if it is too long.

Also, it depends on whether it is expected if this rod will be used in a rod holder or not. If the rod is going to be used in a rod holder, it is normally expected that the rear grip be at least about 10 inches or so, so it will work well with a rod holder.

If neither of these conditions are needed, the rear grip of the rod can be made shorter. A good starting point is 9 inches for the rear grip and can go shorter from there.

In a bait casting rod, unless the rod is held in front of the reel, there is realy no need or reason to have any grip in front of the reel.
If, however, the rod is of heavy action and will be used for landing large fish, most folks prefer nice palm sized grip in front of the reel to give added leverage while landing large fish.

Good luck
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster