I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alaska rodbuilders
Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 04:31PM

I thought I posted this once. If this is a double post forgive me because I can't find the original.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still want to have a gathering of Alaska Rodbuilders.

I have time reserved at the Peters Creek American Legion Post 33 on 27 February 2010. I intend on starting at 10:00 am there will Coffee and doughnuts. Once I get a feel for how many are attending I will make plans for lunch.
All expeirence levels are encouraged to attend. First timers come out to get a feel for what rodbuilding is all about.
I am looking forward to meeting more rodbuilders from the area. This is how all of us can build our skills as rodbuilders. I have learned more from experienced builders, than from any book or DVD.

Bring your rods down to show off your work. I will have a stand set up to display the rods, and we can lay them out on a table for people to see as well.

Topics that will be covered are

Basic Rodbuilding (if anyone present is new to rod building)

Decorative Wraps basics and tips and tricks.

Different Guide Configurations, with a casting demonstration.
I will have 3 rods built up with 3 different guide configurations. We will take them out in the parking lot and see which one casts best.

If there is something you would like to see demonstrated or something you would like to demonstrate let me know and we will work something out.

What: Rodbuilding Gathering
When February 27th 2010
Time 10:00 AM--4:00 PM
Where Peters Creek American Legion Post 33

If your able to attend please let me know so I can make lunch plans.

Also if you need directions let me know. It is very easy to find, but for some reason Google maps is wrong.

Feel free to Email me at 907rodbuilder@gmail.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alaska rodbuilders
Posted by: John Lubben (---.static.gci.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 07:18PM

Why does all the good stuff happen "outside" of Fairbanks? )) Would be great if you guys could post a writeup of things after the meeting. Then all us up farther north could see what we missed? )

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 07:22PM

Kirk, good luck gettingthis one off the ground. IT would be pretty "cool" to have NERBs GAtherings up in Alaska.

Re: Alaska rodbuilders DOOR PRIZES at the gathering this time.
Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 10:57AM

Hi John, I have emailed with another rodbuilder in the FB area, and I am willing to road trip it up there. I prefer to wait till the spring though, then I can get the camper on the truck and fly. It could definately happen if there is enough interest. Just a bit cold to be camping out right now......lol

Hi Billy, I will keep plugging away on this. I had a great time at the gathering I went to, and would like to get that going here. I have a few that are interested in it so I am going to keep plugging away at it. It would be awesome if we could get you up here for a gathering, or I want to try to get something different at each gathering. This time it will be a hands on Casting Demo. Next I have some surf rods I want to build so I may talk about that a bit. Christ I could give a clinic on how not to run a home buisness....lol which reminds me I have some rods to get done. I will be building my first rod with Micros. That should be interesting. I got the guides the other day. I see the reason they call them Micro's.......lol I just remebered we have DOOR PRIZES for this gathering. Courtesy of the fine folks at Batson. It wouls be awesome if we could get a group going liek the NERBS. We could call ourselves "The NERBS Gone Rogue" in honor of our former Govenor.....lol My life is a bit crazy right now but thats what makes it interesting.

Posted by: George Krumm (---.gci.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 11:04PM

I think a spiral wrapped halibut jig rod would be good.

A spiral wrapped back bouncing rod for Kenai king fishing would be fantastic.

And while were at it, how about a spiral wrapped casting rod for kings.

I believe all three of these (but especially the first two) have real promise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster