I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Builder near Portage, WI
Posted by: Ben Krakow (---.mdsnwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 02:17PM

Hello,

I have been reading up on this site for almost year. Last summer, I purchased a few blanks, reel seats, and grips. I do still need to get guides yet. I purchased these with the intent of building some nice rods for myself during the winter months. As of now, I will be having plenty of free time now that work is slow. So I would like to begin building my rods.

I am looking for someone within an hour or two away from Portage that can show me how to build a rod correctly. I am a hands on learner, and learn best with the project in front of me and someone explaining what I am doing and how I am doing it. Once I can get a run through the first time, I can easily understand the process and what I am reading in the books as I read them.

So if anyone is willing to help me get started I would greatly appreciate it. I can supply food, beer, lunch out, or cash for the help. Once I learn what I all need, I can then purchase the equipment necessary and set up an area in my little shop. I have a space already cleared for my new hobby!

Also, if anyone wants to throw out some tips to look for when starting up, like what to purchase, what to stay away from, which books are must have reads, things you would have done differently when you first started, and whatever else, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Ben

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Builder near Portage, WI
Posted by: Victor Heal (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 04:51PM

Tom won't promote it but get a copy of his book, "Rod building guide". It will walk you through the steps and will be a resource you can go back to for years to come. Check the sponsor at the left.
As for what I would have done differently in the beginning, get a subscripition to Rodmaker magazine and keep it current (that's what I did wrong). It is a great resource and it will more than pay for itself.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: January 24, 2010 09:28PM

I have no idea where this would be in relation to you but I dug this up from the tackleworks.org website directory.

B&B Custom Flies and Rods
Custom Rod Building, Rod Repair
rodmaker@dotnet.com
811 Eureka Street
Ripon , WI , 54971

Posted by: Dave Fowler (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: January 24, 2010 11:27PM

Ben, if you're willing to drive to Madison, I'll be happy to help you out.

Dave Fowler
dkfowler82@gmail.com

Posted by: Jon Gold (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 11:20AM

I second what Victor said.
Get "Rod-Building Guide" by Tom Kirkman, ISBN #: 1-57188-216-2, published by Frank Amato Press.
Plenty of the retailers on the left have it. It will be the best 15 bucks that you ever spent on this hobby.
I literally read the book cover to cover 4 times, then sat down and built my first rod about 6 years ago.....
Jon

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 01:30PM

Ben, I live an hour south of you, but my weekends are spoken for until the end of March. If I can help answer any questions please contact me at hellsangler@live.com or if you can wait until April let me know and I'll see what we can work out. Mark

Posted by: Ben Krakow (---.mdsnwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 04:51PM

Thanks for the help!

I will order the book Tom wrote tonight. I also looked into subscribing to RodMaker Magazine. I want to do this long term as a hobby, so I want to make sure I take the right steps from the beginning. I find a lot of beautiful rods that have been crafted by many, and look forward to eventually getting to that level! I find great satisfaction in creating something and then using it.

I will get in touch with you guys that are close to me about meeting up. I would like to get views from as many people first hand as I can, to learn what small things each person does differently.

Thanks guys,
Ben

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 11:38PM

Ben,
I live in madison and have been professionally buidling custom rods for more than 10 years. You can find me on lake-link.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster