I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread size to use
Posted by: sergio rimoldi (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 04:34PM

In the process of selecting/purchasing materials for my first ever rod. Got to a stand still when I came to thread. I understand the different type letters refer to diameter, so what diameter should I use for the guides, hook keeper, etc.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread size to use
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2010 04:41PM

A is generally all you'll ever need, but if you're doing larger saltwater rods the D size provides a bit more resistance to abrasion and that sort of thing.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 11:58PM

Sergio,
Depending on the rod power, some folks like to use heavier thread on heavier action rods. It isn't necessary, but some folks prefer to use it.

One thing to consider is the fact that this is your first rod. The local rod builders when they give lessons often start their students with the larger size D thread. They suggest this, if for no other reason, that size D thread is much easier to wrap, get started on the guide feet, and pack together.

If you want to start on size D, it is not a bad option, particularly on a heavier action rod. But you will want to move down to size A because you can really get a nicer finish and a smoother finish on the rods.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 01:50AM

Be careful! The size of the thread is most often determined by the rod type and size you are building. For fly rods size "A" is all one ever needs to use. Larger and heavier rods may want larger sizes.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 12:34PM

Phil,
Actually, the thread size is determined by the builder of the rod.
There are many reasons to use different size, as well as different kinds of thread in a build.

I do agree with both you and Tom, that from a strength stand point - size A is all that is ever needed.

But, the builder can use kite string or nylon cord to tie on guides if it meets his particular requirements for a rod.

As I said earlier, many instructors start their students with size D thread, simply because it is so much easier to wrap a nice looking guide with less hassle than with the smaller diameter thread.
I also agree that for the best look with the smoothest finish, that size A thread is certainly the way to go.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: sergio rimoldi (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 12:30AM

Thanks for the advice!
I'll be using a Cabela's Fish Eagle II GST905, it is a Fast action, MH, 8-17 lb test blank.
I ordered type A thread so will see how it goes,
I will probably wrap and rewrap several times until I get it right, I'm very ana..and a perfectionist, I'm my worst critic!

size c?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2010 03:01PM

What about size c thread, would that be a good choice for like med-heavy and heavy action rods?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster