I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

hidden fees?
Posted by: Mark Clooten (---.)
Date: January 23, 2010 03:43PM

Is there any hidden fees to the rod expo or does the admission fee cover everything?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hidden fees?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2010 04:43PM

I’m not exactly sure what you mean. Admission is $10 per day or $15 for two days. The admission fee covers admission, which includes any and all seminars that you wish to see, free roam in the exhibit hall and use of any and all related features in the Atrium and main hall. It includes you in the daily door prize drawings at no extra charge. There is nothing else to buy.

The admission fee does not cover anything you might want to eat or drink. If you wish to take advantage of the special event prices on tens of thousands of blanks, components, tools, etc., you’re free to spend as much or as little as you like. That’s up to you. You don’t have to buy anything if you don’t want to.

The RodMaker Reception is free to all RodMaker subscribers - there is no cost to attend. Door prizes, food and drink are provided free of charge. If you want beer or wine, however, you’ll have to spring for that on your nickel.

What exactly do you mean by “hidden fees?”

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 05:22PM

You can't find a better deal than what is offered at the Expo for ANY price .. no less the incredibly low admission cost. One seminar alone is worth a bundle and here you have your choice of so many! Count your blessings if you're able to attend. I would also encourage you to bring as much spending money as you can to feed your rod building habit. You will undoubtedly see things that you will want at prices that seem too good to be true.

Posted by: Mark Clooten (---.)
Date: January 23, 2010 05:26PM

I had seen where it said that the dealers there would get into your pocket by selling you obsolete or close out stuff.

Date: January 23, 2010 05:48PM

Mark,

I find this is a very odd topic. There are certainly many great deals and bargains to be had at the Expo. The prices there will be lower than just about any other time of the year. But, let's stop and use our heads for a moment - no one can "get into your pocket" unless you allow them to do so. You're not forced to buy anything. That choice is yours. The fact that so many do buy merchandise at the Expo is largely due to the fact that prices on many items are very low and the selection is extremely extensive. But there are no "hidden fees" and no one is going to force you to buy anything you don't wish to buy. Nor is it a dumping ground for obsolete items - 90% of what's offered at the Expo is current 1st quality merchandise. If you want to take advantage of close-outs or discontinued items you can certainly find such things at the Expo. But you're not forced to buy it.

For $10 you can gain admission to the Expo, attend any seminars you want, enter yourself for a chance at dozens of free door prizes, see all you want, learn all you want, etc. There are no other fees and no one can get into your pocket unless you decide you want them to do so. Buy or don't buy - that choice is completely yours.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 23, 2010 05:48PM

Selling "obsolete or close out stuff" is not a bad deal. The price will be reduced way below normal prices and since they aren't "blems" will have all the warrentees that would normally come with a normal number one product. Then it is up to you if you want to spring for it. They aren't "getting into your pocket" or being deceptive. They want your business now and in the future. All you have to do Is ask if it is an obsolete/discontinued item, what are the warrentees then decide if the blank will do what you want.
Kerry

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: January 23, 2010 06:03PM

There was a post on another board that made the Expo out to be as expensive as some of the older seminar based events that carried $100+ admission fees. The idea being pushed is that since you end up having the opportunity to buy so much great stuff at the Expo that you end up spending as much or more money at the Expo as you would at the other events with the high admission fees.

Twisted logic for sure..............a mandatory admission fee versus complete freedom in spending or not spending on blanks and components. But I think this is where Marks confusion is coming from.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 06:58PM

Peter Sprague Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was a post on another board that made the
> Expo out to be as expensive as some of the older
> seminar based events that carried $100+ admission
> fees. The idea being pushed is that since you end
> up having the opportunity to buy so much great
> stuff at the Expo that you end up spending as much
> or more money at the Expo as you would at the
> other events with the high admission fees.
>
> Twisted logic for sure..............a mandatory
> admission fee versus complete freedom in spending
> or not spending on blanks and components. But I
> think this is where Marks confusion is coming
> from.

Sounds like the back alley, back handed, political crap that unfortunately is still being spewed around by the all to familar whiners.
Fortunately, their whinning is not opaque and anyone with 1/2 a brain can see right through them.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 23, 2010 07:21PM

More of the same old politics that is being used to explain away $100+ entry fees at another event. All you have to do is check out the ICRBE [www.icrbe.com] if you have any doubts as to what is a REAL value. Sure their is great prices on close out blanks but there is also great prices on everything else. It is also where many manufacturer's introduce their NEW models for you to shake, wiggle to you hearts content as well as talk to the designers that actually created them! Where else will you be able to hand pick things like snake skins, exotic wood turning stock and more stuff than you can imagine??

The Friday night Rodmaker reception (Free) is an event all by itself. Spend a weekend with rodbuilder from all over the world! The hotel lobby/bar/restaurant is packed with rodbuilders till the wee hours of the morning and their are numerous "socializing" area in the show where there is alwways impromptu "workshops" goin on.
Are their hidden costs, NO! Are their hidden benefits, YES!!!!!!!

To top it all off, for those flying in, there is always a shipper at the show that can pack/ship any purchases that you make (Oops! Hidden cost)

I could go on and on, but what's the point. We all know where the value is!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2010 07:25PM

They'll even let you use the bathrooms with out charging for admission and included in the free use of the bathroom is free toilet paper.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 23, 2010 07:40PM

Mark, I can't make it this year for the first time in four years. I am already lamenting not getting in on the many great deals I have gotten before. I am running real low on so many of the basic rod building materials and especially rod blanks and I won't get to see several seminars that are (by themselves) worth way more than the small price of admittance. But above all that, the friendly, educational networking with so many great people/builders will be missed the most. Go and enjoy!

Date: January 23, 2010 10:49PM

Okay, I read it. It's okay - the cost to benefit ratio is decided upon by the consumer. The Expo would not draw the exhibitors and attendees it does year after year if it didn't offer a tremendous value. Talk is just that - talk. Let's put this to bed as we prepare for another record setting event.

Posted by: Robert Moffat (---.dab.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 09:27AM

Well said Tom!

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 10:24AM

Tom: I'm sorry but! Before this thread is put to rest,I have one question.I have been wanting to attend this show since it has began and have yet been able to make it .Every year something has come up just before the event, that prevents me from coming.
The talk before the Big Show and after just pushes my blood pressure out of sight.I think that I read that this will be the last show that you'll put together Is this correct.Also will there be a show next year?? OOPS! Thats two questions,sorry.
Got the ICRBE flyer yesterday,thanks.I know it's going to be the biggest show ever.I wish you the best.You work very hard at it.
However from the looks of the floor plan and the spaces that Mud Hole has.That if I was able to make it to the show I probably spend a day and a half there.Good luck Mud Hole!!
Now you can put it to bed:<<<<DON>>>>

Date: January 24, 2010 11:14AM

I haven't given any thought to doing the Expo in 2011. I might, and I might not. I have had offers from others that would like to buy and host the event themselves so it's possible that if I don't do it, someone else might. I take this one year at a time and concentrate on making each upcoming Expo the very best it can be.

What I would tell you is that if you're skipping this year with the intention of attending in 2011, that might be a mistake. On the other hand, if you attend this event (2010) and then I was to decide to host the event again in 2011, you're out nothing. You can skip the 2011 event, although most folks who attend their first Expo, end up coming back each year thereafter.

One final note - there were some very bad inaccuracies in the other forum post that apparently started this topic. The vendor/exhibitor booth fees do not even begin to approach footing the bill for the Expo. If they did, I would make the admission free of charge. The cost of the exhibit hall is only about 1/2 of the total event cost. I'll come right out and say it, the Expo costs me over $54,000 to produce. The booth fees in the exhibit hall only bring in about $35,000. If there is such a thing as a true organized non-profit rod building event, this is about as close as you'll come to it. I get into my own pocket to produce something the craft can really be proud of. I don't do anything on the cheap and I think that's one of the major reasons this event has been such a huge success. My goal each year is not to make money, but to break even. I realize I could charge a higher admission fee, charge for raffle tickets, etc., but I don't. I have set the admission fee at an amount that just barely allows me to break even and perhaps pay the seminar presenters a little something for their contribution to the event.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 12:35PM

Thanks Tom. I know I'm taking a risk here.Even though I have an Aunt that lives 30 minutes from High Point.My wife and I have been trying to come up with some way to make the trip.I'm still out of work and just can't seem to make things balance out.
It would just kill me to travel that fare and not have money to spend on the goodies.Even though I know that just with the seminars you have going on and the wealth of information I would be able to recieve,It's still a tuff decision.
I'm just going to have to gamble on this one.Hoping and praying that like you say this will be the best turn out ever.
With that you'll want to do it again in 2011.( Just one more for the road,or for the craft and art of Custom Rod Building.)
There is no question about it.You sir have put your all into it.Your heart,sole,mind,talent,labor and big $$ and the only thing you ask for is a bigger and better show the following year.
You have always had a vision for Custom rod building to go one more step.Thank you!!

I'll keep trying.<<<<DON>>>>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster