I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painting an Old Rod and a New Blank
Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 23, 2010 10:04AM

Hi All,

I searched and found most of my information on this topic, but just want to clarify a few things.

I have an old fiberglass rod that I want to rebuild and re-colour for a friend.

Do I need to scrap all the old paint off this rod, or can I just sand it to prepare the surface for spraying?

I am not worried too much about weight, as this is only a 6' rod and will only be used a few times in the year.

The second blanks are a Batson RX8 and RX7, with a matte clear finish.

Do I need to scrap the clear finish off, or can I sand the blank to prepare for spraying?

I am concerned about weight for these.

The new colour will be blue.

Thank,

Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painting an Old Rod and a New Blank
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 12:41PM

I would not want to touch the Batson blanks. You better check with them on the guarantee if you do. They put a nice finish on there blanks.
The glass it is always better to completely strip and put new finish on.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Asker (---.lew.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 01:57PM

Painting an XST blank would land you in jail in some counties of Washington State.

Posted by: Tim Robinson (---.ezsb2.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 23, 2010 07:25PM

Hey Richard , don't listen to them. I recon go for it. I'm also looking at painting a new blank. Waiting for Garry Loomis to get some of his new blanks out and then it will be out with the paint. Ok , maybe I won't paint those ones but I have been looking into it. Some people have been using Krylon although Krylon say the paint won't flex enough. I would say they just want to cover themselves. The other paint i'm looking into is Tamiya. The small hobby spray cans made for plastic models. Their range of colors is very good with even a "sea Foam Green" that I was looking for.
Let us know how you go. Oh and yes , take the old paint off.
Tim

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2010 11:39AM

The only true home method for a paint job that will LAST is use Duplicolor auto touch (or any of the auto type spray paint) up for color coats. Then search the web for a 2K ureathane that comes in a can.. Yes a can!! You spray it like any other spray paint but it is a true 2part ureathane and is very tough. If you E-mail me I can tell you the product name!!
Also if the original finish is ok (not chipped or falling off) You can wet sand with 320 to get a water break surface and apply your paint!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 12:04PM

I did not say don't. If you don't care if it gets broken and because you painted it they will not take it back, that's on you.

I use the duplicolor auto paint after stripping the blank. Just enough to cover the blank. Then when dry, permagloss or the new LumiSeal buy Fish-sticks.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 25, 2010 01:03AM

Thanks for the replies.

I am not too worried about the Batson blanks not having warranty, as by the time I ship it back for a replacement (from Australia), it will be almost the same cost as ordering a new blank.

Thanks again,

Richard

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster