I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Arbors for graphite tubing
Posted by: Ben Hutton (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 22, 2010 08:05PM

I recently purchased a 12'' graphite tube (.980" ID) from Mudhole for use on my next rod (Cabela's Fish Eagle GL764) and I have a few questions. First, what kind of arbor works best with this type of handle and what is the minimum OD that should be used. I was thinking that a set of Flex-Coat polyurethane reel seat arbors in size 24 (.930" OD x 4.75") would work. I want the finished handle to be 10" long, so it will be necessary to cut 2 inches off of the tube. What is the preferred method for cutting graphite tubing? I am debating whether I should use my dremel tool with a cut-off wheel or a hacksaw. I am tempted to use my miter saw but I doubt that its wood cutting blade is suited for this task.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Arbors for graphite tubing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2010 08:24PM

An abrasive cut-off wheel works fine. Very good actually.

You might want to use Flex Coat size 26 arbors if you can get them that large, and turn them slightly to fit.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2010 09:00PM

I think the the Batson tubing has the same ID and Batson has arbors to fit.

I used a cut-off wheel and I also used making tape over the cut area to help minimize any chance of chipping or flaking. Worked great!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: January 22, 2010 10:05PM

I bought a couple of arbor blanks....1 1/2-inch square foam blocks that are about 12-inches long. (Dimensions are approximate). I cut off a piece and turn to fit as needed.

If you use masking tape, be sure to coat all tape surfaces with epoxy to keep moisture out.

Les

Posted by: Ben Hutton (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 22, 2010 11:34PM

I just finished checking some of the sponsor's sites for the Batson arbors and I could not find them. However, Mudhole carries size 26 graphite arbors that should work. Each one is 1 inch long so I would guess that it would take 4 or 5. Since these arbors have a 1.00" OD, I will have to turn them down slightly. I don't have a lathe, so I guess that I will have to glue on the arbors and then either sand or file them down while turning the rod by hand.

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 12:38AM

Ben,

This might work or not...if you don't have a lathe...could you use a mounted drill? There are some pictures of this somewhere on the forum.

...in the past I have put an arbor (or cork ring) on a quarter-inch threaded rod or carriage bolt and used various size washers to get the correct diameter (or close to it).

Find two washers for the diameter you want or close to it. Put one washer on the bolt/rod, then your arbor, then the other washer. Secure with a wing nut. Use a sanding block to sand down to the edges of the washers. It does a very good job and works just like a lathe would. I'm not sure if quarter-inch washers (the hole in the middle) come in the size you want. I suppose you could trace a circle (using a template) on some rigid cardboard or thin plastic and make a washer to use also.

Another thing I have done is use a circle template and draw circles on the ends of the arbor, centered on the hole. I sand down to the line with a sanding block. It gave me a good general reference point for when I was close to the diameter I wanted. I test fit the piece often to check my progress.

Just get as close as you can and let the Rod Bond do the rest. You'll be great!

I've wanted to build on a graphite tube but have not done it yet. Good Luck!

Les

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 12:35PM

Ben,
If you happen to have a bunch of pit filled cork lying around - i.e poor quality cork with a bunch of pits etc. this makes an excellent arbor.
Easy to turn, and the pits hold plenty of glue for an excellent bond.
If you happen to have a poor quality or scrap cork handle, that also makes a good arbor. Simply turn it down to the size of the inside diameter of the tube and ream the inside to fit the blank and glue it up.

Take care
REW

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 01:20PM

next time you place any orders check and the supplier will sell you what you need, like those arbors. Just ask. make a list before ordering.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster