I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decal logo :vs: Handwriting
Posted by: Walker_Nelson (69.198.19.---)
Date: January 20, 2010 03:35PM

I couldnt find a search and Im sure its been disccussed,so I apologize in advance.

You know I spent the time creating a logo and ordering all my waterslides/microsol/set and what not.
But I really like the feel and look of hand signing a blank..It just gives that classic custom look IMO...Ive havent tried yet to hand sign a blank,but I spent several years as a tattooist (I retired of it to build rods..way more rewarding),but writing small ,delicate letters isnt an issue for me.
But I was curious as to how many people still do this?....Or has the decals made it a lost art?

Walker

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal logo :vs: Handwriting
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 03:51PM

My hand writing is horrible.

Posted by: Bill Davis (---.dr02.atmr.al.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 03:58PM

My hand writing is so bad I don't even try.

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 03:59PM

Hi, Walker,
Sure we still do it! Look on the left, click on the Flex Coat Site.
You will find a video for "how we do it", Writin' on Rods.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 20, 2010 04:07PM

There is something about a hand written inscription that just "fits" a true custom rod. Most of us don't have the penmanship to allow us to do it very well, hence the use of decals. But if you were/are a decent tattoo artist, I'd bet you would have no trouble in this department.

Set a book next to the rod to support your hand so that you have a more level surface to work from.

Date: January 20, 2010 05:17PM

Haha,..Bad handwriting I suppose would be a deal breaker!
I did watch that video Michael Munoz had on the Flex Coat page..It was good stuff...It answered my questions on what to use.
Yea I use to tattoo cursive script on the side of customers fingers,Also my initials on my wifes ring finger as well ...You talk about a p.i.t.a!!
However I had spent several hours drawing tiny script flash and I think I may start applying it to rods.
At least the blanks wont shake,squirm,and scream when I do,haha.

Thanks guys
W

Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 07:31PM

Small lettering isnt an issue for me either, I'm a retired sign painter. Small lettering on a curved surface like a blank is a different story. I never am satisfied with the results. I have on occasion done my hand lettering on a small scrap of waterslide decal paper (on a flat surface) and applied that to the blank. Gives you the hand lettered look, without the PITA of doing it on the round surface, And after finish is applied you cant tell the difference

Posted by: Matt Davis (64.118.9.---)
Date: January 20, 2010 07:49PM

Hand writing for me. Decals just aren't "right" for me.

Being a tatoo artist...I'd imagine you won't have any trouble with it.

I think one of the biggest problems for most...they view it as writing. For me, its about copying lines. No different than any sort of drawings.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Ron Asker (---.lew.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 08:02PM

If you can make purdy stuff around someones elbow or uh...other places I would bet you can do the same on a rod blank. I have decent penmanship on paper but on a blank? fugetabowdit. I've taken to writing the serial number on the reel seat and applying a bit of speedcoat over it.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 10:28PM

I think it helps to write as small as possible. The curvature seems to have less effect.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 21, 2010 12:24AM

Just my humble opinion but what true difference does it make if your penmanship is not a 'John Hancock ' level?!? If your Fit & Finish and rod building skills are at a beautiful, custom, high quality level (representing the absolute best your coordination, technique, knowledge and concentration can produce) then your signiture simply is what it is. If I were to be lucky enough to win a commissioned rod, built specifically for me by any of the following rod builders ( and many other great builders who will come to my old brain later): Mike Barkley, Randy Putter, Ray Adams, Terry Henson, Mark Blabaum, Tom Kirkman, Rich Forhan, Ralph O'Quin. Doc Ski, Eden Bromfield, Ken Preston, Jim Gamble, Billy Vivona, Mark Crouse, Jim Upton, Duane Richards, Bill Stevens, Marco Antonia Silva, Lance Dupree, Fred Yarmolowicz, J P Timberlake, Hiro Tanaka, Pat Vinzant ..... I would definitely, respectfully request that when all their hard work, craftsmanship and personal rod building magic is done and has passed their muster, that they simply sign it with their First & Last name and put the year by it!!! I would not want a decal.

Posted by: Ron Asker (---.lew.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: January 21, 2010 01:37AM

I agree with you Steve but If I ever decided that I want to achieve the notoriety of the aforementioned craftsmen I will have to refrain from writing on rod blanks lest my customers think my 3rd grader got hold of their rod and tried to forge my signature. : )

Actually I think with more practice and the proper utensils I can get acceptable results. But you know what they say---good enough is the enemy of excellence. I dont want to put something that is "good enough" on one of my rods. So, for now I'll keep trying the technique on scrap and maybe some day people will be respectfully asking me to scribble on their fishing rod for them.

Date: January 21, 2010 10:04AM

This has been really good stuff guys .Thanks for all the replies..

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2010 07:16PM

How about writing on a flat surface directly on to the waterslide decal and then applying the decal to the rod. It makes a huge difference for me. A HUGE DIFFERENCE. I've got very good draft/ architectual/ art printing, but just can't get past writing directly to the rod blank.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 21, 2010 09:06PM

You can also write or letter what you want on paper, scan it and then have a decal made from that. Sure, it's cheating a bit, but it's still your penmanship by proxy.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: January 21, 2010 09:35PM

Decals look far more professional and cleaner in my opinion...I've seen the most crisp handwriting, and a decal connection decal applied in the correct manner far exceeds MOST handwriting.

Just my .02

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.38.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 22, 2010 09:51AM

Paul Rotkis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Decals look far more professional and cleaner in
> my opinion...I've seen the most crisp handwriting,
> and a decal connection decal applied in the
> correct manner far exceeds MOST handwriting.
>
> Just my .02

This is dead on. Sometimes, a bad looking job on the inscription can outweigh everything else the customer sees, due to it's prominence.

A good example - I got an order for two rods yesterday. The guy has five custom rods that another builder made for him, using handwritten inscriptions. All the customer talked about on the phone (I haven't met him yet) is how bad the writing on the rod looks. I have no idea how the rest of the workmanship is, but the guy is fixated on the bad handwriting. He has even asked me if I can cover them up and redo them.

I've done a few rods, mostly for myself and family, with handwritten inscriptions, but there is no way I can write well enough to do this for rods I sell. The decals are the way to go, for me. Wish I could write on rods better - it would save money, and be quicker.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2010 10:32PM

I dont put any decal or writing on rods unless specifically requested. I do ask if they would like the manufacturer's decal on them. I feel that they are paying for a high end rod to THEIR liking and taste, not mine. Just my opinion.

I also agree that a simple small signature of artwork will not take away from any piece, it is just my preference to not do as such.

Date: January 26, 2010 05:54PM

Thanks again guys...I signed the rod yesterday by hand..I think it came out really nice for a first attempt,I'll post a pic when it fully cures.....

I think Ill stick to signing my name,but anything else specific teams,websites,etc Ill use waterslides....I think they both have a place on a rod

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster