I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork rings - different sizes-
Posted by: Mike Vereckey (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2010 02:23PM

I am making a cork handle for a bass rod. I have two burl rings that are 1/8" wide and they are also 1.5" in diameter. My other rings are only 1.25" in diameter. Wil I have trouble sanding the larger rings down to the size of 1.25? Will they chip while sanding. Any suggestions. Thanks for your help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork rings - different sizes-
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 02:27PM

You should not have any problems, just take it slow. If the other cork is standard cork, what you might have some issues with is keeping them both the same size as you sand to the final size. You should use a block behind the sandpaper so they will stay at the same level.

Posted by: Sam Hightower (---.mediageneral.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 05:15PM

You shouldn't have a problem. As Mike said, the burl cork is denser than the natural cork so it is harder to sand. Using a block helps keep things even.
Sam

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 06:39PM

Jose,
I just came in from my garage, where I was shaping some grips, made of regular cork rings with burl cork ring trim. I used dry-wall sanding screen, cut into strips, to shape everything. I held the strips against the spinning cork to get down to my working diameter. For the actual shaping, I did not use a sanding block, because I was trying to make some compound curves, in a 2" glue-up. I just used the tip of my finger, pushing the screen down on the spinning grip. YOu do have to pay attention, because as the others have noted, the burl is much denser, than the cork, so that cork is removed much faster than the burl. Once I had the shapes, I used the same techinique with increasingly finer sandpaper (180, 220, 320, 400) to smoothe things out. Don't push too hard or it'll get real hot!!!! My grips came out great.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 08:21PM

Jose,
If at all possible, always use a sanding board when finishing grips. A board really helps to stabilize the sand paper and keep the handle uniform.
If you want to do shapes and curves, just use narrower boards, and narrower paper.

When ever you use different type handle material - where part of the handle is harder than another part of the handle, the board is really necessary to avoid sanding away the softer material before getting the harder material sanded to size.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mike Vereckey (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2010 08:32PM

thanks for all responses... yep.. i do have regular cork with burl trim rings. Thanks for the advice of using a sand board..

Its my first time with burl and noticed quickly that it is denser while i was cutting the trims.. thanks again....

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: January 21, 2010 07:09AM

I use a Stanley SurForm tool to get my grips to shape and slightly over size. This will handle different hardnesses of materials and different sizes of materials with ease.

Then 80, 120 and often times 220 grit papers on blocks.

220, 320 and 400 grit papers by hand.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: January 21, 2010 09:26AM

When shaping a combo type grip I use a a few differnt size/shape files to do the majority of the work. for final sanding I will use a cut peice of a pant stur stick and wrap some sandpaper around it. It is small and easy to handle, I can switch different paper in seconds when needed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster