I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji Alconite vs SIC - ring thickness.
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 19, 2010 06:59PM

I've used the Fuji SIC ring material. However, my impression is that the alconites are noticeably thinner than the SICs. Would I be correct? So for the same outer diameter, the alconite ring will have a larger inner diameter.

I know that SIC has much better heat dissipation if I remember correctly.

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji Alconite vs SIC - ring thickness.
Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 12:20AM

I noticed the same thing the other day, Mo. The SIC has a thicker ring.

Not sure why. I'll have to get the calipers out and see if the I.D. is the same or smaller on the SIC.

My guess is that it is smaller just from observation.

Good eyes, Mo!

Les

Posted by: Mark Griffin (96.229.21.---)
Date: January 20, 2010 01:44AM

Mo,

I don't know how extensive you want to look into this, but I have both on my bench and sampling a couple of #12 spinning guides, it looks like your observation is correct. The BYAG12J has an ID of 8.60mm and the TYSG12J is 8.25mm. The Alconite has a smaller OD too... 11.44mm VS 11.60mm on the SIC.

If there's a certain type you want checked I can measure them at the shop tomorrow.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 09:04AM

Fuji Ring thickness Aluminm Oxide > SIC > Alconite

Since Fuji uses inside diameter of frame and not ring to denote guide size - the smallest inside diameter of ring is the aluminum oxide and the largest the Alconite in the same size guide.

Jim Spooner posted the dimensions on a thread earlier.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 10:04AM

Mo, you and I like the UL stuff and I always use Alconite rather than SIC. Both are hard enough for the braid I use, and how much is heat dissipation really an issue on UL? I suppose I could see it for offshore stuff (which I never do), but even the inshore stuff I do never sees terribly long runs. I guess the titanium frames are nice, but I can't afford them.

Posted by: Robert Marie (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 11:40AM

Greetings MO,

I build for myself and some friends (ie not a high volume builder). Nevertheless, I would highly recommend using Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (for easier processing) and following the approach from the posting I described about 3 years, past.

re:Measureing Guide Sizes Dec 2006

Mo, I recognize that you seek ring thickness details, however I design my spinning rods via Excel spreadsheets. In my case, I am interested in knowing the exact center of each ring on spinning rods which I design and build.
I begin every spinning rod build with : Handle design, Guides Layout including graphical line-path, and before build; a spreadsheet for the required parts order(s) for the designed rod. Although its rare, I, also, design and build fly-rods, in similar fashion, with a custom stripping gap along with the guides layout.

I really think that if you did this; what you'd want is a decent digital caliper. And then use a method similar to the referenced article-posting to answer your questions. Excel is quite versatile.

Good luck,

Bob

Date: January 22, 2010 01:24AM

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Mark, thanks for your offer but for now, I'm OK. Are you getting the K guides? The titanium alconites interest me.

As to heat dissipation, I think it may matter. Not sure. I use titanium and the heat dissipation of titanium is a lot poorer than steel which is already much worse than aluminum. As to whether it matters, you can try this - take your alconite ring, and your SIC. Get a length of light mono and rub them back and forth in a quick motion. Compare how fast it takes to fray and melt/break the mono. You may be surprised at how easy it is to fray mono due to heat of the rings.

Mo

Date: January 22, 2010 01:24AM

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Mark, thanks for your offer but for now, I'm OK. Are you getting the K guides? The titanium alconites interest me.

As to heat dissipation, I think it may matter. Not sure. I use titanium and the heat dissipation of titanium is a lot poorer than steel which is already much worse than aluminum. As to whether it matters, you can try this - take your alconite ring, and your SIC. Get a length of light mono and rub them back and forth in a quick motion. Compare how fast it takes to fray and melt/break the mono. You may be surprised at how easy it is to fray mono due to heat of the rings.

Mo

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2010 12:15PM

Mo,
Just curious...have you tried testing the heat dissipation of the Pac Bay Minima guides? They are certainly very light, and due to their all metal construction, I would think that they are better at conducting heat than any ceramic ring style guide. Of course, I might be totally incorrect...
George

Date: January 23, 2010 12:39PM

George, i think they are about the same per my test.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster