I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow F1166/7-4blank
Posted by: Robert Foote (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 01:46PM

Just curious if anyone has any info or experience with the rainshadow blanks. I am doing my first build in a month or so and decided after many months searching to use the Rainshadow F1166/7-4 spey blank for my centerpin steelhead rod. My problem is I want an 11'6" rod in the line class of 6 or 8 lb to 15-17 lb. Med Fast to Fast action. And I cannot find a blank to match my criteria and this blank seems to be the closest match. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow F1166/7-4blank
Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: January 19, 2010 02:28PM

A line of 15-17 is sort of heavy for a centerpin rod is it not? I am not sure of your application or area but we normaly run 4-8lb (maybe 10lb for salmon) tippit with 10-12lbs running line around the great lakes. (A 6/7 spey is about a 8/9 in single hand standards) Look at the IST 1384F it is a 11'6" 4-10lbs with a fast action as well. Good luck in your search.

Date: January 19, 2010 07:18PM

I am from Lower Mainland B.C. Fraser country Home of BIG fish. I am well aware of your methods around the great lakes but over here we fish heavier. I am not sure about landing 15 -20 lb steelhead in fast current with such a light rod. I have experimented kinda with east coast style. I have a 2-10 lb 10'6" rod with a 4 inch rapidex and used that for coho this year but anytime I hooked a fish that exceeded 15 lbs it was too much work without overplaying the fish. Does a longer rod at that rating handle big fish easier? I just don't think I could spend the money building an eastern noodle to find out it is not what I want. Thanks for the input though.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: January 20, 2010 09:10AM

Yes, a longer rod will handle the fish easier and also protect your lighter tippit. I am just finishing up a 15' Raven blank rated for up to 10lbs line that is commonly used on the Niagra and for king salmon in other parts of the regin. A longer rod will allow you to 'steer' the fish and keep them off balance, the lighter tip will protect the tippit while having a backbone will let you put some wood to the fish if needed. There are a lot of choices for what you are looking for just want to make sure that you make the right choice. Batson makes some nice centerpin blanks (XST1562F) so do CTS, St Croix (new avid series) Raven as well as Lamiglass.

Centerpin fishing is up and coming in many parts of the PNW and great lakes and it can be a little hard to find some blanks but if you look you will find the one for you. Call some of the shops to the left and they will be able to help you.

Again I have not fished your home waters but I would think a longer rod rated in the 10lb range would be well suited and serve you well.

Good luck

Date: January 20, 2010 07:30PM

Thanks for all the great info. I will look into your suggestions. I surely want to choose the right blank.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: January 26, 2010 03:58AM

If it were me I would be checking out the blanks Sage has(as far as I know they are still available in BC in the 2pc form through local tackle shops) as they are by far the most popular high end models for 10ft and up centerpin and drift rods in BC.Lamiglas is also popular and I know a few guys who have had good success with blanks made by Talon(not sure what they offer now though).I would imagine that Batson/Rainshadow and St Croix both have a model or two that would work very well for you as well.

Personally I wouldn't go any lighter than 12-15lbs test for the waters you plan on fishing.Guys around here have been fishing centerpins in BC for a very long time.It's anything but new here and I'm sure it's the same situation just south of us.Ask around the local shops and ask other anglers on the waters what they are fishing and while you will see a variety of lengths being used I'm pretty sure you will get the same line weight recommendations.

You would be hard pressed to find anyone fishing ultra light noodle rods for salmon(pinks would be fine I'm sure) and steelhead in BC.All the local centerpin and drift rods are considerably heavier line weights(usually rated for anywhere from 12-20lbs line or so for steelhead and most salmon with 15lbs main line probably being the most common choice,and heavier for bar rods or for targeting big springs) than what they fish back east and you are dealing with strong,aggressive fresh from the ocean fish,often in faster flowing rivers.

An average all around spey rod for BC waters would probably be around a 13ft 8wt(guys go much heavier for springs of course) but that little Forecast spey model gets quite good reviews from guys fishing smaller waters for smaller salmon and steelhead.It certainly isn't the kind of rod you want to fish most of the Skeena system with(there are exceptions of course),but it will work fine on most lower mainland and island flows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 04:05AM by Tony Dowson.

Date: January 26, 2010 09:16PM

Thanks for the info Tony but I have been fishing salmon and steelhead in this province for 10+ yr now and know what I want. I currently fish a 10'6" Fenwick 2-10 lb centerpin for coho ,pinks and dollies etc And I fish a 10'6 Loomis 6-12 lb centerpin for steelhead. For the springers I like my 11' Fenwick 12-25 lb .with my baitcaster. My loomis has handled a 17 lb steel very nicely. So I figure a foot longer will do 20+. Sure you may consider the rainshadow a small spey rod but the butt size is .535 and the tip size is a 5.
If I were to by a sage but refuse to because they are overpriced I would use the 3106LB which is a 8-17 lb line rating at 10'6" and has a butt diameter of .540 and tip size being a 6. This Rainshadow blank was a suggestion from a local custom rod builder who has built a few of these blanks into centerpin and they are nice sticks. I am one of many centerpinners out there that are fishing in between westcoast and eastcoast and want a true medium rod instead of the norm. I agree that eastcoast style has no place on our rivers and vice versa but a medium rod enhances the fight but can still handle bigger than norm fish. And that is exactly what I am looking for in a rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster