I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New to the site???? New to rod rod building???
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 10:49AM

I know I resemble those words in the subject field - and I could probably add - even if you're not new to rod building. At the suggestion of a senior member of this site, in more ways than one :>), and will remain anonymous, Bill Stevens.... I'm going to post what I'm learning about learning using my first rod build as an example.

I was bound and determined not to have my first build turn out less that absolutely perfect for the intended use. PERFECT! I found this site, read the current threads, did a few searches and asked a few questions. Now, armed with the absolute best information I set about building that perfect rod. Woops... now that PERFECT" rod I've started on I am simply hoping for good and baring achieving that I certainly hope it's functional - time is the teller of all.

The mistakes I made gathering information:

1.) Only searching and reading current post(30 days worth).
2.) While I did not make a conscious decision to seek out information in support of my decisions a root cause analysis would no doubt reveal that was a major issue.
3.) I sought/searched for information too broad in scope to reveal the true advantages and disadvantages thus making my ultimate decision less informed than it could have been.
4.) Not being smart/experienced enough to even ask the important questions or even aware of the ramifications of my decision relative to the completed build.
5.) I failed to consider the old phrase, or paraphased in this case: "The quality of the end product is governed solely by the individual methods and parts utilized in the constuction of that end product"

What I'm going to do relative to future builds in an attempt to stack the bad/good decision ratio to more heavily favor the "good" decision - based on my build requirements.

1.) Broaden the search window to include all dates
2.) Seek out information that is contrary to my views and argue against the method/materials I think are right for the build. I may still go with my decision but at least I'm aware of what the negative off-sets could be if I do. Of course seek out supporting information as well so I'm better informed of what the issues are.
3.) When I think I know all I need to know to make an informed decision - search some more ask more questions or the same question phrased a different way. And keep in mind the big picture - the final product. Blank, seats, guide, threads, epoxy - all interact together to create the end product. I will be well served remembering that.
4.) Befriend one of the rod crafters on this board, a mentor if you will - and there are quite a few to choose from. In spending time on this site I have learned which crafters, more or less, focus their builds in the areas of fishing that consern me. They are more in tune to the issues I will face trying to build that "perfect" rod. Do not interpret this to mean ignor everything from stand-up rods to ultra-lights some requirments across that broad spectrum are involved that cover that spectrum, no matter where on the spectrum the rod I'm building falls.
5.) When I "think" I've got the build technique, materials and methods the best they can be - Contact the mentor, share the information then "LISTEN" to the response.

In the end each decision will still be mine but at least I will have gained the information necessaray to make a better informed decision.

Will this work eliminating dumb decisions? It can't not help. But nothing in this world is fool proof and with little effort on my part I can still assume the fool position unless I am keenly aware of the possibility. An old song sums it up pretty well "Fools rush in where wise me fear to go." And as for playing the fool: Knowing you have a problem is 50 % of the cure!

At the beginning I said I was going to use my first build as an example and while I really.... really don't want to expose how dumb I am...

Build: CB965Blend cranking stick, split-grips, no fore grip and micro guides.

1.) Ordered blank w/o a true understanding of power/action across different mfgs. line-ups in this range. The problem: I now have a blank that is faster with more power that I wanted. Will it work - yes. Is it "perfect for the intended application - no.

2.) I am very pleased with the first build grip/seat combination and have no problems there - In the future I will consider split seat but for the first build I just didn't feel comfortable going that direction.

3.) I like, a lot, the spiral concept. I "thought" the spiral would increase casting distance over conventinal guide placement. I even found a few post supporting my view. Yes, I considered the tip down aspect of crankbait fishing and the fact that the tip would not be in the optimum position for that method - but casting distance was the deciding factor. Experienced rod builders will easily see the error of my ways.

4.) I located the spine. Did an excellent job of installing grips and seat - based on a spiral wrap - spine on top. Grips/seat are installed with ThreadMaster epoxy - they ain't coming off. But now I've made a decision to do a conventional wrap. So I read as much as I could on the importance of spine location relative to guides. While I'm "ok" with the spine on the bottom w/conventional guides, based on quite a bit of input from a whole lotta folks - I'm not happy with it as I would have rather built with the spine on top.

5.) Guid selection - The broad consensus I've seen on micro guides is: If you can use them in your application - by all means do. Couple that with "Light is the only way to go" then ignor or fail to appreciate guide design and I ended up with Fuji TLSG's. Is this a bad guide - no. Is it the best guide based on my application - probably not.

Soooo there you have it... True Confessions from a first time rod builder. And now a bit wiser rod builder.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to the site???? New to rod rod building???
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2010 10:56AM

This is a great site/resourse, but unless you acquired some of the various books and related materials on custom rod building you were not armed with the best information. Attempting to do anything based strictly on information gleaned from the internet, forums in particular, is not going to result in the best possible outcome. It will surely get you by, but a great deal of the information on the internet has been submitted anonymously, has not been fact checked, is sometimes completely incorrect, etc., etc., etc.

You will find that spine orientation makes little to no difference in how your rod casts or fishes. You cannot stop rod twist by spine orientation - you'll have to utilize a spiral wrap to do that.

Date: January 19, 2010 11:00AM

Tom.... You are ABSOLUTELY correct. I did not include that in the intial post but you can trust... The books are either in hand or on order as are several DVD's. Thanks for spotting the omission!

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 12:08PM

Doug,
You might want to add a subscription to Rodmaker Magazine and think about getting as many back issues as you can. Have fun.

Mike Blomme

Date: January 19, 2010 07:05PM

Got my first issue today along with two SE CD's.... But yes.... that as well should be added to the points I made in the opening post along with "Don't get in a hurry..."

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 08:32PM

Doug, When you say threadmaster I hope you mean
Ultimate Gel By Threadmaster. The Difference is the Gel is an adhesive and the other is a finish. Big difference. If possible head on over the ICRBE [www.icrbe.com] Will be the best rod building move you can make!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: January 19, 2010 11:18PM

It is/was the gel. I know this may seem like a "no contest" to some. I would love to attend...But I can either go to ICRBE or spend 5 days on Falcon Lake in Texas... I'll be in Zapata.

Thanks for the heads-up Fred!

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: January 20, 2010 08:45AM

I had to make the same sort of choice..........attend the ICRBE or go on a vacation trip for some unreal Peacock bass fishing. I chose the ICRBE because the bass will always be there but this may be the last year for the expo. For any halfway serious rod builder this is Mecca. I have been around a long time in this hobby and attended some of the old Clemens Rodcrafter seminars in the 80s, but the first time I walked in the door at the ICRBE I was blown away. This thing is unreal.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 11:36AM

I'm with Peter.

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 12:53PM

A person on another sight said that this would be the last year the ICRBE would be held. Are they correct or just someone trying to stir some crap?

Date: January 20, 2010 01:25PM

Actually, I had no plans to host the 2010 event. I only decided to move forward as of last May.

Currently, I have no plans to host the event in 2011. That may change, of course, but for now my energy is directed on the 2010 event. I try not to look too far down the road as far as things like the Expo go - keep in mind that I could drop dead tomorrow so future Expo’s can’t be guaranteed even if I did state that I was going to host them in 2011, 2012 or beyond.

It is certainly possible that come May I may decide to host the event again in 2011. Or, I might transfer the event to someone else that would host it in 2011. But there is one thing I know for sure - in the history of custom rod building, no one has ever risked the kind of money I’ve risked to put on an event like this and I cannot guarantee that the next guy who might host the Expo, or any other event for that matter, will be willing to spend the money to do something on the same scale and quality as the Expo’s I’ve done. Frankly, I don’t think you’ll ever see another event like what’s getting ready to take place here in a few weeks. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think I am.

So having said all that, all I can guarantee is that the 2010 Expo will be the biggest and best in history. I’m not even looking at 2011 yet.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: January 20, 2010 02:42PM

I can appreciate all the various rod building events. Even the old Clemens Rodcrafter seminars which are vastly outdated nowadays and crude by comparison were VERY educational and a LOT of fun. I do recognize that nobody else has been willing to spend what it takes to put on such a highly professional event like the ICRBE in such an upscale facility with such a huge assortment of vendors and activities. But I do hope that the Expo can continue long into the future no matter who might be able or willing to fund it. This thing is a real feather in custom rod buildings cap and it can hopefully continue long into the future. It would be a real shame to see it pass into history.

Date: January 20, 2010 04:05PM

There will always be rod building seminars, shows, events, etc., with or without me. Just maybe no more like the Expo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster