I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat Lite user's : Question - white spec's
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2010 02:55PM

My supplier was out of my usual lite finish a month or so back and I ordered Flex Coat Lite instead just to have some "lite" on hand in case I ran out. I never ran out but have started toying around and using up my new FC lite. I mixed up a batch several times with no problems at all. But, lately since I'm down to about 1/2 a bottle of each, finish and hardener, one of the two has white chunks of something in it. I figured it was the cold weather and I threw out the chunky mixed portion I had just mixed and took the FC to the microwave. I heated both hardener and finish and this took care of the white chunks in my next mixed batch. My rod room stays about 68 degrees for what that's worth. Today I grabbed the same FC lite and mixed up a batch and in less than15 hours the chunks were back. Threw out the mixed, warmed again and all went well.

My question...are others seeing this chunky-ness in FC lite in such a short time? I dont mind warming it up a bit, but it sure shortens the pot life up severely.... and I never thought the chunky would return so fast. I like the FC lite pretty well, all but this one issue.

DR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat Lite user's : Question - white spec's
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2010 03:05PM

All epoxy resins will tend to crystalize in cooler temps. When this happens, heat it in the microwave prior to when you plan to use it. You never want to heat up the resin or hardener just prior to mixing - that will indeed shorten your pot life considerably.

If it constantly crystalizes, considered storing it in a warmer location.

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2010 04:51PM

I have recently had some of those chunks(quite small) show up in my work with a new batch of FC. This in all of the past two weeks. My work room is 68 to 70 all the time and the FC is stored there. I thought it was just me.

Posted by: Harold Dean (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 06:59AM

Hi DR.

For what it's worth, I purchased the 16 oz size of FC lite about a year and a half ago, and I'm still working with it. I have had none of the problems you are witnessing. My rod building room temp is a constant 70 deg.

Harold

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 07:27AM

Those are the one's Jeff, you have to pour it out on foil once mixed to see them.

Harold I cant see 2 degrees making any difference, but you never know....

The thing that bothers me is the chunks coming back SO fast.

DR

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2010 08:15AM

Anything below 70F is a bit too cool for most epoxy resins - it won't hurt them but it almost guarantees you'll get the crystalization. How long it takes the crystalization to return depends on temperature. The cooler the storage area the quicker it will happen again.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: January 19, 2010 01:09PM

I have also had this problem, my room is around 70 deg but I store it on a shelf that is on the outside wall so it is a few deg cooler. Thakns for bringing this up, guess I will move mine too!

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: January 20, 2010 12:14PM

Hello to All.

What would happen if you kept it in a heated (80%) cabinet, took it out and mixed it.

1. Right after mixing put it back would it still get crystals from such a short exposure to a 68% clime?

2. Now you use the mixed epoxy, will it cure in the 68% temp slower or faster, or could it crystalize
before it can cure?

Bob Guist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster