I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

number of guides using the concept system on a 10'6" float rod
Posted by: Lon Nalder (---.dialup.pinetel.net)
Date: January 18, 2010 12:44PM

I'm rewrapping a spinning 10'6" float rod using Fuji's Concept Guide System. I followed Tom Kirkmans instruction. When fiished I did the deflection test and everything looks good. As it turned out I used a #30, #16, 8"(intersect guide) and 11- #7 guides out to the tip spaced at 5 inches apart. In total 14 guides where used. Does that seem to be too many? Even using this many guides I was able to cut the weight by approximately 1 ounce. I have yet to test cast it to see if I have improved it from the old guide system which consisted of double ft. #50, #40 guides and single ft. #30, #20, #16, #12 &#10 guides.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: number of guides using the concept system on a 10'6" float rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2010 01:22PM

You'll be fine. Try what you have and then go back and use a progressive spacing on the running guides which should cut that number back to about 8 or so. You should find that works as well or better.

A good NGC layout will net you about 3% to 5% (maximium) more distance than a standard Cone of Flight System. It doesn't sound like much and it isn't, but you're getting a host of other benefits in addition to the slight casting distance improvement. Your rod will balance better, and provide quicker response and recovery.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2010 04:19PM

Lon - what are your spacings from the reel face for the 30, 16, and 8mm intersect guide and what is the diameter of your spool? Thanks.

Posted by: Lon Nalder (---.dialup.pinetel.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 09:38AM

Tom,
My spool diameter is 45 millimeters. The distance to the butt guide is 592 millimeters with the second guide at 1062. The choke guide is 1282 millimeters. The NGC (spool diam 45 mil x 27 mil) suggest the choke guide at 1215 mils. The actual spacing I gave you was after I did the static deflection test and moved them a little. Sighting down to the choke guide did give a pretty good target like view. The distance from the choke guide out to the tip was 55 inches. Using 5 inch intervals I used 10 - # 7 guides but had to ad another during the deflection test. I hope this is in the ball park. I wrapped and aligned guides last night and now want to test cast it using 6 lb. line. This is what the owner uses while float fishing for steelhead here on the Snake River below @#$%& Canyon Dam in Oregon. I appreciate you interest and value your help. Thanks! Lon

Date: January 19, 2010 10:36AM

It's certainly in the ball park.

On the length beyond the choker guide, you might be able to drop a guide or two by using a more progressive spacing. You might go 4", 4.5", 5", 5.5" etc., working back that way.

Date: January 19, 2010 11:01AM

Lon - so your butt guide is about 23.3" from the reel, the butt and 2nd guide are 18.5" apart, and the choke and intersect guide are 8.67" apart? The 30mm butt seems a bit large to me whereas a 25mm would have shortened the distance between the butt and 2nd guide, and another transition guide seems appropriate - I'm not sure. That spacing just seems weird to me, no wonder I struggle with the 27X method. My thoughts have always been the upper section doesn't need as many guides as one would think whereas the mid and lower sections are where the fish fighting pressure takes place.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2010 11:10AM by Tim Collins.

Date: January 19, 2010 12:10PM

Tim,

The choke and intersect guides are one and the same.

The 27X method doesn't set the intermediate guides. The rod builder does that per the line path.

Lon is not using the 27X method, he stated that at the outset. If he was using the 27X method his choke guide would be at 1215mms.

Lon,

If you're willing to work with different frame heights, you can get better spacing on the intermediate guides.

Re: number of guides using the concept system on a 10\\\'6\\\" float rod
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: January 19, 2010 12:13PM

Lon you said you followed Toms instructions but it does not sound to me as if you did. For starters I would locate the choker guide EXACTLY at 1215mm or which is about 48 inches. Then your butt guide could much smaller if you use a higher frame. Six pound line should not require a size 30 guide. I would use a 25 or even a 20 if you can get the height to keep it within about 23 inches of the reel spool. The per the article you would need about two guides BETWEEN the butt and choker guide. Choose the sizes to work with the edges hitting the line path line.

Then I would do the running guides like Tom said. Use a more progressive spacing putting each guide a little farther apart than the one before it. I think you can do this with about 6 or 7 running guides which is going to save you some weight on the upper half of the rod. Good luck!

Date: January 19, 2010 05:20PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tim,
>
> The choke and intersect guides are one and the
> same.
>
> Lon is not using the 27X method, he stated that at
> the outset.

Tom - I misspoked - I meant 2nd guide and intersect. When he said he was using the NGC and your instructions, I automatically thought it was the revised NGC / 27X or whatever the latest version is. But Peter's suggestions are more to my understanding.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 11:23PM

LON:

The distance form the reel to the first guide will not make a hill of beans difference if you are going to use a float reel rather than a spinning real.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster