I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Interesting...
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: January 17, 2010 01:57PM

Not going to post a link, but if you want it, drop me an email.

Duckett Fishing has a blog... if you don't know, DF is one of the OEMs now coming out with "micro technology" rods...

I found this quote interesting...

"...the folks at American Tackle, who worked with us to create our proprietary microguides. "

What's proprietary? Design? Marketing? Materials? No other OEMs using? Anyone got a clue on this one?

Of course money plays into it when you can order 50K+ guides and tops at a time - but having used them for some time now, I'd like to have an idea of what's different to make them "proprietary".

-----------------
AD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Interesting...
Posted by: Robert Russell (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2010 02:01PM

That's good news. I sure hope we can get access to some of these improved guides. The OEMs have the buying power to get the improvements we'd all like to see.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: January 17, 2010 02:37PM

It could be that American Tackle has a contract, and has agreed not to supply another OEM for some period of time. For their purpose, marketing against other factory rods, they could care less what custom builders are using.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 17, 2010 02:40PM

The word "Proprietary" ,in this case, means they were made especially for him, to his specifications. He has ownership of this particular guide design.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2010 03:51PM

It can be as simple as a different finish on an existing product.

Riley Rods-Hard Core Grips to Go!-----Carbon Fiber - Composite Grip Store-----Capt Mike's Blog-----No Excuses Fishing Charters

Posted by: Matt Davis (64.118.9.---)
Date: January 17, 2010 07:15PM

Ditto Mike Pedersen's statement.

In my real life I work for a large manufacturer. We make very little of "our own" product. But we do manufacture some things under our own name. For the most part we provide OEM components. Company A's product can be virtually identical to Company B's product and virtually identical to our own product. A different color, a different tool used, a different texture...and suddenly they have "proprietary" product. And, it isn't a lie to say that. If they've committed to the volume and/or the new tooling and/or new materials, etc, its for them and them alone. I can't allow another company to utilize that. Rarely is it an earth shattering revolutionary type of "proprietary". Most often its just a minor, if not insignificant, tweak on what already exists just so they can call it their own. Many times its exactly the same thing as any number of other companies could have if they'd just step up to the plate and commit to what ever it is that makes it something new.

I don't have any background on Duckett and what's going on here...nor do I care to. Just my experiences as a Product Manager for a large OEM manufacturer.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 17, 2010 08:33PM

Ditto Mike and Matt . Whatever the change , it belongs to Duckett Fishing . Most likely it was a minor change. Kinda doubtful they would do much re-tooling for his company.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Joe Meehan American Tackle (66.31.185.---)
Date: January 18, 2010 02:11PM

Hi Guys,

Hi Guys

I can't go into all the details but this is a totally new product. I have the tooling bill to prove it.

We do care very much about the custom rod market so we made sure you would have access to them. Duckett Fishing will be providing the guides to all of our dealers for resale.

We had input from several Micro Rod devotes in the business including Boyd & Ken Whiting regarding the design of the product. We got input, drew up and tweaked the design, built tooling, assembled the product and shipped in less than six weeks which was no easy task. If it wasn't for Duckett Fishing this product would never have gotten to market. Thus Duckett Fishing has the exclusive rights to them for 2010.

We addressed several things regarding the problems Boyd and others encountered with Micro's. When you see them I think you'll agree they're the very best. Look for them to arrive sometime next month along with several new models in the Ring Lock line up. World class components for world class fishermen.

Warmest regards, Joe Meehan, American Tackle

Warmest Regards,

Joseph F Meehan III
American Tackle Co. Inc
Ph: +1-508-957-2164
Toll Free: 1-888-516-1750
Cell: +1-508-364-3770
Fax: +1-508-957-2165
Toll Free Fax: 1-800-966-9430
email: joe@americantackle.us
Web Site: [americantackle.us]

Posted by: Joe Meehan American Tackle (66.31.185.---)
Date: January 18, 2010 02:11PM

Hi Guys,

Hi Guys

I can't go into all the details but this is a totally new product. I have the tooling bill to prove it.

We do care very much about the custom rod market so we made sure you would have access to them. Duckett Fishing will be providing the guides to all of our dealers for resale.

We had input from several Micro Rod devotes in the business including Boyd & Ken Whiting regarding the design of the product. We got input, drew up and tweaked the design, built tooling, assembled the product and shipped in less than six weeks which was no easy task. If it wasn't for Duckett Fishing this product would never have gotten to market. Thus Duckett Fishing has the exclusive rights to them for 2010.

We addressed several things regarding the problems Boyd and others encountered with Micro's. When you see them I think you'll agree they're the very best. Look for them to arrive sometime next month along with several new models in the Ring Lock line up. World class components for world class fishermen.

Warmest regards, Joe Meehan, American Tackle

Warmest Regards,

Joseph F Meehan III
American Tackle Co. Inc
Ph: +1-508-957-2164
Toll Free: 1-888-516-1750
Cell: +1-508-364-3770
Fax: +1-508-957-2165
Toll Free Fax: 1-800-966-9430
email: joe@americantackle.us
Web Site: [americantackle.us]

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 18, 2010 02:38PM

Joe thanks for the very timely post on this forum. I no longer require oxygen or CPR - breathing and heart rate has stabilized after your announcement that custom builders are in the supply chain for the good stuff!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2010 04:26PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: January 18, 2010 03:36PM

Joe - great to hear and thank you for letting us know!

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Joe Meehan American Tackle (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2010 07:51PM

Denada Alex. Don't thank me. I thank custom rod builders who are always pushing the envelope benefitting fishermen around the globe. Bill your input was invaluable as well as Todd Vivian's. Thanks to you both it made our job a lot easier.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2010 09:52PM

Joe;
With your comment that
"Thus Duckett Fishing has the exclusive rights to them for 2010.'
Are you saying that they won't be available to custom builders until 2111?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2010 10:01PM

I believe Joe is saying that only Duckett can sell them in 2010. If Duckett decides to sell them to custom builders, they will be able to do that.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: January 18, 2010 10:21PM

Looks like my first guess was right, Duckett will have exclusive OEM rights, but the new guides and tips will be available to custom builders.

Posted by: Joe Meehan American Tackle (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 12:56PM

Tom and Mike are correct the new guides will be available next month to our dealers listed on our site. [americantackle.us]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster