I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minima Guide Research
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 17, 2010 11:31AM

Being that I like the Minima's so much, I decided to do a little research on how they have held up.

I spoke to Vic Cutter at Pac Bay and he assured me they hold up very well to braids. He was actually involved in the original design of them for Pure Fishing.

I also did some searching and posting on other forums, as well as talking to some of our regular customers. I found multiple guys that have used them when they were on higher end Fenwicks, and have 10 years plus of use on them with no issues.

I also had a Daiwa rod back in the 80's that had stainless insert rings, with a shock ring to boot! I had few rods back then, and fished a lot more than I do now, so it saw a LOT of use, and it still looks great today. I wonder if the stainless used to make rings is different that the stainless used to make wire guides, as I know I have seen issues with the old wire type/welded frame guides.

I know there is a little skepticism on them, but I can't find anything to back it up yet. Please let me know if anyone else hears anything to support or rival what I have found so far.

Have a great day all,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minima Guide Research
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: January 19, 2010 09:04AM

I had a buddy who worked for PURE some years ago. He gave me a rod that was not commercially available with what looks almost the same as today's MINIMA's i got in a few weeks back.
I have used that rod for spring run White and Hybrid fishing 4 or 5 days a week for 7 years. Loaded with 10# power pro or 8# suffix braid. I cannot see grooving or wear with my 4 x lens and light, that may be my eyes though. I look after my gear and have better than new ABU 9000 reels from the 70's so it may also not be typical.
Yet i have had folks bring me some Ugly Stick Light rods to re do the guides and they have a similar looking guide that did not hold up well. It was not the rings on the Uglies that died, it was the frames. They would be squashed:that may be due to the commercials for uglies showing it as normal to fold them double and beat things with them. But others brought in for repair have had the rings fall out of a cracked frame. I would think the rings are not the issue it may be how the end user is going to look after the frames.
They are thin.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 19, 2010 07:04PM

This is good news. I'd like to get to the bottom of this. Stacked against this is the prominent posting on Tackletour where the finish rubbed off from the rings after one trip of testing. Dollar for dollar, they have great characteristics in terms of weight, ring sizes, frame types, colors. But I'd like to KNOW for sure that the color will not rub off that easily. I also had problems with matching frame colors - two different orders, same finish, distinctly different shades of color so that I could not match them on the same rod. Other than that, very good guides.

Love to hear more from others.

Tom, did you ever report on your grooving test using the windshield wiper motor?

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 08:27PM

Hey Mo - I have seen the finish rub off on the colored rings of all types, these, and on zirconiums too. It just seems to be how it is. I have to say the TiCh and Chrome are much less noticable when this happens than the gold rings.

Other than that, performance seems solid.

We built my brother a heavy musky rod with them last spring when they first came out, and he pitched 2-6 oz. baits with it all season with 80# power pro - no problems.

Lot's of potential.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 20, 2010 08:57AM

I've not been able to groove them, although I was able to repeatedly wear through the line.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 23, 2010 03:03AM

Thanks for the updates. Helpful.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster