I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Snake Guide Sizes Recomendations Sought for an 8 Weight Steelhead Rod
Posted by: Tom Charlton (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 05:43PM

I received a kit to build a steel head rod based on a Rainshadow Rx7+ 9'6" 8 weight blank. The kit came with good single foot guides (sized 4 and 5) but I would prefer to use snakes (better to deal with ice and my clumsiness). I'd like to this rod fishing for winter steel head in NY state and also as a large mouth bass rod.

The kit came with a 16 stripper and then a size 10 double foot guide. I thought working off of that, I could go with a 5 snake, a 4 snake and then finish to rod off with 3s. I have large tip top. Would number 3 snakes be a good choice for an eight weight with the possiblity of having to deal with icing on the guides? If size 2s would work, I would not mind using those instead.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks. Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snake Guide Sizes Recomendations Sought for an 8 Weight Steelhead Rod
Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.212.51.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 05:59PM

I'd normally end with #2 snakes, stepping up to #3's and #4's on an 8 weight.
With icing as a large factor to deal with the #3's would be a better choice.
You might consider #3 titanium's for the top 3 or 4 guides to decrease the effect of the extra weight.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2010 07:38PM

Size 3's are fine. Omit the 5 and the 4 for a straighter line path and a little less weight.

Posted by: John Keys (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 09:45PM

Would a 3.5 micro guide be too small for a rod of this wt.? Or would a New Concept 4 or 6 be better? I have a 5 wt. that I am debating on using the smaller micro guides.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 11:56PM

SZ 20 stripper then a 16.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 17, 2010 12:26AM

John,
The small micro ceramics won't work on a fly rod, the 6 is as small as I'd go as the line and connections can be to large for the very small guides.

Posted by: Tom Charlton (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 17, 2010 08:40AM

My thanks for everyone for their advice. I think I will go with all size 3's with the last threes being titanium.

I will consider the size 20 stripper. If I went with that, would it not be better to drop to a 12 for the next guide before starting the size 3 snakes?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 17, 2010 09:06AM

You might be better with the heaver saltwater single foot whire guides. less surface to collect ice.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2010 10:40AM

You can certainly do that. The thing to remember is that the drop in sizes is more for the human eye and less for the line, which does not recognize guide sizes. If you used the #10 instead of the #12 the line wouldn't really be aware of it as the change in angle or drop is absolutely of no practical difference. It's just the human eye looking at the ring opening that likes to see a gradual drop in guide size - the line never uses the ring, just a surface.

Posted by: Mike Marrone (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2010 04:56PM

I built a rod last spring for NY GL steelhead. I used a size 12 double foot BLNAG then size 10 single foot BLAG then size 4 single foot recoils to the tip. I think making the first two guides 16 12 would improve it a little bit. As far as icing, the 4s hold up pretty well, but they still ice up. FYI, just by looking the id of the size 4 sf recoils look to be somewhere between the id of a size 8 and 10 fuji BLAG. In an ideal world I'd have one rod with size 6 BLAG running guides for fall/spring steelhead, and another with the larger recoils for dealing with the ice in the winter. The ceramic guides are way quieter and feel a lot smother casting as well as fighting fish. I've never used them but the pac bay minimas seem like they may be a good compromise between the two.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster