I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Subscribe to Rodmaker!
Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2010 02:11PM

I find it both amazing and pitiful to realize that that there are hundreds on this board who have benefited greatly from the free information here, obviously have no concept that most of the topics covered have been exhaustedly covered, explained and beautifully set out in Rodmaker Magazine. It is self-evident that a great number of you do not subscribe to it. Not only is the information on this site free, but the EXPO price is cheaper than dirt given the seminars and the bargain prices available on all rod building components. Some folks I guess feel they are entitled to this "bounty" without realizing that if Rodmaker Magazine didn't exist, none of this would. It's obvious that many here simply want to take and benefit, not support anything-you'll buy components and spend money on blanks with no compunction, but refuse to spend 25 beans on the magazine subscription that supports the entire deal. IMHO that is the definition of "selfish" and "cheap." Go on-pose your questions here; get dozens of free answers and advice; shop the sponsors for deals on components; soak up the information from the EXPO seminars; sprint to your car located in the free on-site free parking with your armload of deals and just ignore all the effort, time and money behind it all. The magazine does not write itself; this website is not maintained by robots and the EXPO did not spring up spontaneously from the High Point concrete. I get the distinct feeling that if this site charged a 5-dollar yearly fee, that many here would scream "bloody murder," then flee.
When I was in school, I did manual labor at a posh country club where there were many members availing themselves nightly to the lounge and poker tables, playing cards all night yet not spending a dime-just gorging themselves on the free peanuts and free ice eater without a second thought or an ounce of gratitude and that's exactly the same feeling I get when I read many of the posts. Just my $.02-actually more like $.05 on this one and sorry for the rant-I'm not trying to start a thread to argue and I will not reply to contrary opinions, but someone has to point out this "warped" sense of entitlement and I know that Tom would never do it. David Spence, Cape Custom Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Subscribe to Rodmaker!
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 02:28PM

Not a contrary word - just something for you to think about.....

Some of us are just getting into rod building.

Some of us have a lot of questions but no back issues to reference much less knowing which back issue contains what information.

Some of us didn't think to run a search prior to posting a question here - until such time as it was pointed out.

Some of us didn't even know rodmaker magazine even existed until visting this site

Some of us wonder how you're aware of who's a subscriber and who's not

Some of us are not the thieve's or mooches suggested by your post simply because we don't or haven't yet subscibed to the magazine - some non-subscribing posters actually may contribute to the content of this forum - and receive no compensation.

Some of us have indeed ordered back issue CD's

And lastly...

Some of us have subscribed and have yet to receive the first issue of the subscription.

I fit nicely in every point noted.

Again - not being contray - just something to think about.....

Posted by: Tom Wicker (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 02:37PM

Being a new member also this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I also am awaiting back issues. I can relate to what most of what Doug posted above

Posted by: Terry Goode (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 02:39PM

AND some of need to spend our Social Security money a little bit more wisely on items needed to exist and just "wish" we had the spare change to have the luxury of getting "targeted information" on a sport we all like.

thats my rebuttal to you sir.

Posted by: Walt Stock (---.dtccom.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 03:10PM

You might ask the sponsors to the left how may readers (not "members") have purchased from them ONLY because of this site being available to anyone and everyone. If this site is sacred in some way, I suggest the web master secure it with a code only memebers can access - then - ask the sponsor "how's it goin' for ya?"

Posted by: charles fasano (66.192.164.---)
Date: January 16, 2010 03:22PM

Mr. Spence,
I read this forum everyday, I subscribe and to be honest, I am taken aback by the unfriendly tone of your post. I hope Mr. Kirkman puts it away quickly.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2010 04:07PM

I set up this website specifically for folks who don't subscribe to RodMaker. I wanted them to have some access to "trickle down" information from the magazine. I have no problem with folks here who don't subscribe because that was the reason for this site existing to begin with.

Having said that, I can also see David's point (David is a District Attorney and you have to understand his wording tends to be very direct and to the point, but I don't think he was trying to insult anyone). It's not a matter to me of anyone being a moocher or anything like that. But rather that many waste valuable time and dollars making mistakes or learning the hard way because they aren't starting with good information. But like I said, it doesn't matter to me if folks here subscribe or not. I know for a fact that less than 10% of the registered users here are subscribers, but that's fine by me. In the long run, a subscription to RodMaker will probably save folks money, but again, that's their decision to make. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. The magazine is doing fine with or without this forum.

I also want to point out that there no "members" here on this forum - it's a public forum and does not require any sort of fee nor are you required to join anything. I often hear things to the effect that I run some sort of organization - I don't. It's a free resource and if you find it helpful, use it.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Webmaster